585,982 active members*
4,564 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Hardware > Laser CO2 Tubes, Diodes, RF and Power Supplies > Trotec 8003 Speedy C50 - No power to PSU | Humming noise | Single Click

Question Trotec 8003 Speedy C50 - No power to PSU | Humming noise | Single Click

As the title describes, I've found this forum because of the latest issue with my Trotec laser engraver. I was using the laser when it shut down completely without warning mid-cut.

I immediately checked the main fuses and then proceeded to check every fuse I could without turning up anything. The next steps in testing were to verify if any power was going to the pair of PSU on the back of the machine.

When reading the poles for what I assume should be 110v my meter reads no change when power is turned on. The connections are visible in this photo as well.

Some observations that may be totally useless but anyways... There are two relays in the photo below. The lower one triggers immediately when the power switch is toggled, the upper relay seems to have a slight delay before switching over with a louder click. It's at this time that the machine emits a very high 20khz(?) buzzing/ringing noise from this area of the board.

I've attached some other photos of the machine below as well. My next steps are to remove the board from the machine an begin to manually test the relays and resistors - we haven't got much else to go on. Any and all suggestions are appreciated as the local technicians are reluctant to come work on a 15 year old machine.

FIXED!

So we're part way through repairing this Trotec Laser with very little help from them at all. At this point I want to make users/shops wary of Trotec - they will sell you components, but no chance in hell will they look at a board for repair. I had a friend look at the board and identify some damaged solder connections, likely caused by high amperage~heat. The uppermost connection that is clearly burnt was our culprit for the 'not turning on' issue. Somehow the trace was blown. It's been repaired with a jumper wire and so now the relay operates.
    The rightmost pin, F connection. The trace is marked with a single dot. This had to be jumped on the backside of the board.

We are now in the process of figuring out what caused this damage. I was able to turn the laser on, and make a cut without anything blowing up... which was relieving to say the least. I'm unsure of what to be checking next in my journey to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Thanks for any and all input.

Re: Trotec 8003 Speedy C50 - No power to PSU | Humming noise | Single Click

I've come further in diagnosing the issue and found that the power supplies are outputting only 9.5v and drawing >15amps despite being rated for 24v (each) and 27amps. These are jws600-24 power supplies hooked up in parallel (series?) and so I assume would be putting out 48v, not 9.5v.

Any help?

Re: Trotec 8003 Speedy C50 - No power to PSU | Humming noise | Single Click

You have to find out what the P.S's are feeding and locate the source of the possible high current, it would seem likely from you diagnosis so far that the relay contacts and the terminal pin continues on to the circuit that is causing the O.L.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.