585,951 active members*
3,949 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Machining a contol panel.

Machining a contol panel.

I am laying out my new control panel for my supermax and have a couple questions. I plan on using either 14ga or 12ga aluminum. I have to cut out a bunch of square holes for some of the existing pushbuttons I am reusing from the old control.

What should I use to cut these holes out? Endmill? I also thought I heard of a panel cutter bit but not sure.

What kind of bit is good for engraving?

Any good (cheap) software to create the gcode? Or just manually program the cuts and use something like deskengrave for the lettering?

a small 2 flt em should work well for cutting out you holes , as far as engraving goes you could use a small ballnose or spotdrill ,center drill

I have seen aluminum cut with a mortise machine - the corners were square and even.

I like to use a carbide bit from a scribe to engrave with. The ones I have are 1/8' at the collet end...I get 5 "pencils" for $10 from MSC and the end unscrews just like an X-acto knife