584,861 active members*
5,092 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Carbide drill VS indexable drill

Carbide drill VS indexable drill

Just one question:

Do you use carbide twist drill or indexable drill if you have to drill hole of 1 1/4" ?? Thank you for the answers

i would use an indexable undersize it, then ream it out to make it true. But that is just what I would do
    When all is said and done, more is said than done.

Indexable. To me it would be cost prohibitive to buy solid carbide. One oops and there goes about $200. With the indexable, it'll cost about $300 to get into it initially but they're typically alot tougher than solid carbide and often give better performance (ie faster metal removal rates)

How many holes? What machine? What material? What is depth? What tolerance on hole? All are very relavant to this question. I would go for the indexable for production work and HSS for small number of holes. Solid carbide for that size will cost way more than $200 and indexable will be more like $500 to start.

A 31.75MM Solid Carbide drill would cost an absolute fortune!
    In Australia, a 26.60mm carbide "delta" drill from Sandvik will cost us $477 (list price before any discount).
    A 32mm 880 style indexable drill costs $710.00 (list).
    It would be far more cost effective to use an indexable drill then finish to size with a boring bar or if the hole tolerance allows it, just drill to final size straight up.
    like ctate2000 states, need to lots more information before a solid recommendation can be offered!
    Cheers
    Brian.

a brazed carbide can fly thru aluminum, good on steel for odd ball sizes

steel - indexible for typical fractional dia holes , these suckers haul

1 1/4 Solid Carbide - out of the question !

Quote Originally Posted by broby View Post
    A 31.75MM Solid Carbide drill would cost an absolute fortune!
    In Australia, a 26.60mm carbide "delta" drill from Sandvik will cost us $477 (list price before any discount).
    A 32mm 880 style indexable drill costs $710.00 (list).
    It would be far more cost effective to use an indexable drill then finish to size with a boring bar or if the hole tolerance allows it, just drill to final size straight up.
    like ctate2000 states, need to lots more information before a solid recommendation can be offered!
    Cheers
    Brian.
    OUPS I'm sorry !! My conversion is false... The tool diameter of my drill is 12mm !!!
    Can you answer to my question with a drill of 0.5 inches ??

THankx

solid carbide thru spindle coolant
    eg : 4140 g81 4700 rpm 50 ipm

aluminum try a carb tf drill if you really want to punch holes

let the chips fly

.5 solid carbide Tungaloy drill. 4130 HT, 400 SFPM .014 feed per rev. straight through no dwell no peck up to 5 times diam.

Running right now.

Tungaloy drills put the others to shame!

Mike

Re: Carbide drill VS indexable drill

For a large hole like 1 1/4", an indexable drill may be more suitable as it can achieve a higher accuracy and better surface finish compared to a carbide twist drill. Indexable drills can also provide longer tool life and reduced cutting force, making them ideal for drilling through harder materials.

On the other hand, carbide twist drills may be more suitable for drilling softer materials or for applications that require a lower investment in tooling.

Ultimately, the choice between carbide twist drills and indexable drills will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the drilling operation.

https://jaibros.com/products/u-drill1-mm

Re: Carbide drill VS indexable drill

definitely indexable drill, WNT/Ceratizit make awesome high feed indexable drills, depending on the material, depth, and tolerance you could drill then bore, but having used these drill over a million times, I know you can fine adjust them on a lathe across the X axis and get them cutting to within 0.02
    for that size of drill you could plow through at 1300rpm and 0.08 feed in steel (SCM440/EN19)