584,866 active members*
5,030 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Controls locks when I Push the "list Prog" button

Controls locks when I Push the "list Prog" button

2005 VF2--The machine starts and functions perfectly until you push the "list prog" button. When you do this the Control totally locks up. the z-axis drops slightly and you hear a release of air from the rear of the machine. then nothing works. I found an article at says I my have corrupted the software by loading a file with too long of a file name. if I restart the machine everything works again until I try that button again.

any idea's????

Re: Controls locks when I Push the "list Prog" button

Quote Originally Posted by Mikenman View Post
    2005 VF2--The machine starts and functions perfectly until you push the "list prog" button. When you do this the Control totally locks up. the z-axis drops slightly and you hear a release of air from the rear of the machine. then nothing works. I found an article at says I my have corrupted the software by loading a file with too long of a file name. if I restart the machine everything works again until I try that button again.

any idea's????

I would not say that you do NOT have corrupted software, but I have never seen corrupted software do what you are describing. My first thougts are a possible bad keypad.

Do you get the same result if you press List Prog while in E-Stop?

Yes, I get the same result with the E-stop on.

Yes, I get the same result with the "E-Stop" pushed in.

The biggest issue I see is that to clear the corrupt software issue it is necessary to send all of the programs to the computer and then erase and reload and if you can get past list program, you can't do that.

Good luck---Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and help.

This is a wierd problem. One way to tell if the software is bad is to reload it. This I can easily help with over the phone if you are familiar with the control Layout. You hopefully have a back up of all your parameters and settjngs. the risk here is if the keypad is the problem ( I doubt) you will have the same problem with none of your programs in the machine. Feel free to give me a call and I can troubleshoot this over the phone with you. James 503-589-3612

I have never seen this..but one in a while a some weird text will appear in a program. Stuff that makes no sense but it will have different effects on the machine.
    I would save all of my programs to the computer and then reload. Also check any new programs that you have just loaded.
    Gary

Update--- Problems fixed

Opened the back panel to the control and re-seated all the connections on the board for the keypad and no more issues.

Thanks again for all the help

Wow, that's great----Congrats!

P.S.: Reminds me of a problem I had about a year ago. Kept getting Z motor faults and kept resetting and it got to the point that I pulled the encode cover off a carefully cleaned everything, and the cable connections and all, to no avail.

I finally found a replacement motor and got ready for the change, but was in the middle of a job and wanted to finish it first. Kept getting the faults trying to finish the job, so for a last ditch effort I opened to cabinet and cleaned/reseated the connector for the motor on the board. Now I have a spare motor for my machines as the problem went away and has never come back!

It is reassuring that I have a motor on the shelf that fits or replaces any of the 6 axis motors on my two machines.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

.......Opened the back panel to the control and re-seated all the connections on the board for the keypad and no more issues......
    I should have thought to tell you my failsafe method (so far); bang on the side of the control box with your fist. This has 'fixed' an intermittent glitch in my jog wheel for several years. Someday I will get motivated to reseat the connectors.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I like to use a dead blow hammer to save my fist!!!!

Update--- Problems fixed

Opened the back panel to the control and re-seated all the connections on the board for the keypad and no more issues.

Thanks again for all the help
    Very nice!
    A little frustrating I am sure, but nice that it turned out to be an easy fix.
    Thanks for the follow up also.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I should have thought to tell you my failsafe method (so far); bang on the side of the control box with your fist. This has 'fixed' an intermittent glitch in my jog wheel for several years. Someday I will get motivated to reseat the connectors.

Love them "old school" fixes. They never go out of style! :cheers: