584,842 active members*
4,342 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynomotion/Kflop/Kanalog > Replacing broken analog servo motor with stepper motor

Replacing broken analog servo motor with stepper motor

Hello,

Currently I have Kflop with Kanalog that are connected to Simodrive 611 and 1ft5 motors.
    The motor of the Z axis got burnt and needs to be replaced.

I want to replace the motor with stepper motor and a separate driver( step/dir)

How do I do that?

Thanks,

Re: Replacing broken analog servo motor with stepper motor

Hi Mitzpetel,

You would need to obtain a Step/Dir Drive and Motor compatible with KFLOP's Step/Dir Outputs. If you are not using Kanalog JP2 differential inputs then you can unplug the Kanalog connection to KFLOP JP5 and use the Step/Dir Outputs available on JP5. See:
    Dynomotion Motion Control Boards for CNC Manufacturing and Robotics Applications

You should be aware that Steppers typically have higher torque but much lower speed than Servo motors so the mechanical speed reduction may need to be changed.

HTH
    Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Hi Tom,

I appreciate your fast response, I will try that.
    The other two motors are Siemens servo motors with differential encoders that connected to JP1. If only JP2 is disabled there should be no problem.

Another question - Do you have some tutorial or guide for calibrating analog servo motors?

Thanks for the advice about the stepper motor. I will look into that.

Regards,

Re: Replacing broken analog servo motor with stepper motor

I am guessing those motors are fairly large, you may have a problem subbing steppers in place of them, there is also no comparison to those and a stepper, I would be inclined to look for a compatible servo motor if the drive is still OK.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The machine I am working on is a 2 meter by 3 meter wood milling machine for mostly panels - The Z axis travel is about 200mm working in constant depth most of the time. The X and Y axises are doing most of the work.

The guy that owns the machine have financial problem to fix it properly.
    The Siemens motors and the drive are about 20 years old and a replacement motor is pretty hard to find.
    We tried repairing the motor, which was a failure.

The motor I am replacing is a 1FT5036-1ak71-3eb0. It's a 6000rpm 150 oz/in torque motor.
    I am going to replace it with a NEMA 34 800 oz/in motor and hope for the best.
    I am not worried about slower Z axis, and I guess it will have enough torque.

I am always open for new ideas, Do you know about of some other solution in the same price range?