585,712 active members*
4,146 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

FrankenC CNC Pro 4'x8' NEMA 34 build

Hi guys and gals.
    I am half way in to the build at this point.
    First thing is, I am very happy with the service and delivery times of CNCRP. They ship then they say and the parts are well packed. I only had one minor damage on a gantry aluminum bar but it was nothing a file couldn't take out in 3 swipes.
    Attachment 276578
    The router is build using 1940s machine stands. My shop is located in Brooklyn Navy Yard so it's a bit of charismatic aspect. Reusing the old tech for the new tech.
    Attachment 276580
    Custom frame was welded in my friends shop so the bases can be bolted to each other.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1024.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	276582

Re: FrankenC CNC Pro 4'x8' NEMA 34 build

Attachment 276584
    After the base and the frame were more or less leveled, 2 1.5" sheets of MDF were bolted to the frame. All grade 7 hardware.
    Attachment 276586
    Attachment 276588

Name:	DSC_1032.jpg 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	276590

Attachment 276592

Name:	DSC_1066.jpg 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	276594
    Now I am about to start putting motors and cabling on.

Very nice, I love those legs. You plan on painting them?

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    Very nice, I love those legs. You plan on painting them?
    Thanks!
    One of this days........... then I have free time.

Question. Did anyone ever look for an alternative to a .5"x1" guide rails that are not split and perfectly straight? So far, this is the only questionable part in the build. Not complaining, just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Carpenter View Post
    Thanks!

Question. Did anyone ever look for an alternative to a .5"x1" guide rails that are not split and perfectly straight? So far, this is the only questionable part in the build. Not complaining, just thinking out loud.
    Yup, I agree, that is the only part that bothered me as well, but I think with some careful tuning it will be a non-issue. I would be willing to pay extra if CNCRP would sell the 4896 kit with full length aluminum side rails and full length hardened steel rails, but I'm sure those wouldn't be cheap to ship!

Thanks!

All I could suggest is trying to source some 112" long versions locally. I just installed mine today and haven't looked to see if it's possible.

If you paint those legs, they should be Battleship Grey! Stay true to the Navy Yard!

-Eric

Battleship Grey sounds good! ........ Some day.
    I am going to pick up this thing McMaster-Carr next week. As I go through my shop, I realize, I don't have any reference precision straight edge.
    Started the motor install.

Name:	DSC_1069.jpg 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	277098

Battleship Grey sounds good! ........ Some day.
    I am going to pick up this thing McMaster-Carr next week. As I go through my shop, I realize, I don't have any reference precision straight edge.
    Started the motor install.

Name:	DSC_1069.jpg 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	277098
    Good choice on picking up a straight edge. However I think a 6 or 8 ft level would be as accurate as that, but cheaper and probably available locally. The levels, like that straight edge, are shown to have an accuracy of 0.005", however that number alone isn't really enough to tell you how accurate the edge is (Is that .0005" of error over the entire length (Extremely accurate, so unlikely)? .0005" accurate on the width at a given point (which says nothing about straightness), .0005" over 12"? ). Both will be subpar to a machinist straight edge or parallel, but at a fraction of the cost and probably good enough for what we need on these routers.

McMaster-Carr

The level may provide more utility for other projects I would imagine. 8 ft levels typically run around $100

Those legs look awesome. That new cnc should make quick work of some line arrays. Haha. How long did it take you to get your machine from when you ordered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by talonosi View Post
    Good choice on picking up a straight edge. However I think a 6 or 8 ft level would be as accurate as that, but cheaper and probably available locally. The levels, like that straight edge, are shown to have an accuracy of 0.005", however that number alone isn't really enough to tell you how accurate the edge is (Is that .0005" of error over the entire length (Extremely accurate, so unlikely)? .0005" accurate on the width at a given point (which says nothing about straightness), .0005" over 12"? ). Both will be subpar to a machinist straight edge or parallel, but at a fraction of the cost and probably good enough for what we need on these routers.

McMaster-Carr

The level may provide more utility for other projects I would imagine. 8 ft levels typically run around $100
    You may have a point there. I got the staright edge today and the edge is not straight at all. Called McMaster to find out if the one I got is a dud or this is the way they are.

Quote Originally Posted by dan3676 View Post
    Those legs look awesome. That new cnc should make quick work of some line arrays. Haha. How long did it take you to get your machine from when you ordered?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I ordered the parts in 2 courses. Took about 3 weeks each time from the time the order was placed to the time it arrived. The aluminum rails came in fairly quick. I think within a week.
    Yeah, line arrays are no holiday to be cutting with hand held router.

So, I've send the McMaster layout straight edge back and have been lurking on ebay.

Name:	DSC_1081.jpg 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	278900

Name:	DSC_1080.jpg 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	278902
    Starrett. 70" near perfect shape. I took it over to friend who owns Mitutoyo Black Granite Surface Plate aaaand, very happy with results. The Starrett is 0.0005 per ft of lenght so I think this should be more then enough to straighten out the guides.

So, I've send the McMaster layout straight edge back and have been lurking on ebay.

Name:	DSC_1081.jpg 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	278900

Name:	DSC_1080.jpg 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	278902
    Starrett. 70" near perfect shape. I took it over to friend who owns Mitutoyo Black Granite Surface Plate aaaand, very happy with results. The Starrett is 0.0005 per ft of lenght so I think this should be more then enough to straighten out the guides.
    Awesome, if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

$200 + $24 s&h

$200 + $24 s&h
    Nice, great buy. I may have to keep an eye out for one.

A friend of mine came over to help today and we spend about 4 hours shimming X rail (one side) and got them to be within 0.002 over 8ft. Not too bad. Casehardened steel rails presented some issues. Tomorrow, hopefully I can finish the other side and start squaring of the Y and the Z.

Just want to extend a special THANKS! to Cory at CNCRP for helping me quickly troubleshoot issues with Mach3 set up. The issues were due to my inexperience.
    Thanks Cory!

Just want to extend a special THANKS! to Cory at CNCRP for helping me quickly troubleshoot issues with Mach3 set up. The issues were due to my inexperience.
    Thanks Cory!
    They know there stuff that is for sure. Cory and Ahren have handled everything from sales, tech support, and every little question I had during the buildout. I am a satisfied customer!

where did you get your spindle? and what are the specs on it?

Page 1 of 2 12