584,854 active members*
4,308 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Short Circuit on a chinese TB6560 Board

Short Circuit on a chinese TB6560 Board

Hi at all,

I'm a newbie in CNC and similar, and want to give a try to see what can i do. I want to upgrade in future all of electronic, and the mechanic parts, but now is only on testing phase.

My setup is an old HP workstation connected via LPT port to a Chinese Cheap TB6560 board, the red one that support 4 axis + one, that take power from a 24v 30Amps switching power supply. I have connected three Nema23 stepper motor to my board.

So... now the bad thing... while routing the Z axis motor cables, moving the machine with cables detached from motor but not from board, they took the machine steel bars and make the Z axis Toshiba driver smoke... I think the power was on only for 5/8 sec after the short circuit.

After that only the X axis works and not in perfect manner. When finish the movement the motor make a noise for 3 sec like a "buzz"...

I took off the third TB6560 broken and then nothing changed. So i have changed the three 74HC14D in photo and something happen. The X axis, even without command from pc, remain with a bit of power and the stepper make a buzz, when i press the left or right arrow it moves but not smoothly. the Y axis remain fixed on but no current reach the motor.

the Z obviously doesn't work without the driver chip, and the A, which i tried to convert in Z, does not make anything. no LED, no Current reach motor.

If you have some suggestion, other than switch to another board (if that, suggest something relative cheap such as good tb6600 board), i'm pleased to hear it.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Attachment 276654Attachment 276656

Re: Short Circuit on a chinese TB6560 Board

One or more of the other chips might be dead. When you fried the z chip, the internals likely shorted the high voltage into the 5v and killed a who bunch of stuff. Try removing power to each chip one by one to identify the shorted one. Or look for heat.

Thanks H500 for your help! I will try to desolder the Vcc pin of the Y and then A axis chip and I will check if the only chip remained (the X) work good. If it so I can change the three 6560's.

Hi guys,

i have desoldered the Vdd Pin (also the VmA, Vmb) for all of the three chip's, but the problem remain... the first led (the X axis) emits a very low light.
    the Y led is Always full on. but nothing has changed... what do you think it is?

thanks for the help

If all 4 chips are out, verify that the board is drawing no current from vma and vmb.

Measure the voltage on vcc. I believe it should be 5v. If it is then reconnect one 6560 chip back in. If it doesn't work, replace it.

My opinion is that you shouldn't bother unless you are willing to add in a power sequencer. Otherwise, the same problem can recur.

I am waiting for the chips from eBay... then we will see the results! thanks for all, i will keep update the thread!