585,668 active members*
4,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Laser loses power after a minute or two, will not mark wood

Laser loses power after a minute or two, will not mark wood

I previously posted this in the wrong section...sorry if you've already viewed it!

Hello all!

I have searched the forum and read many posts, but cant seem to find a definate answer.
    I have a chinese Laser Cutter SH350 D (or G) bought in April 2014, over the winter months I found I was having to increase power and/or slow down speeds to cut through 3mm Plywood.
    So I cleaned the mirrors and lenses, and aligned everything.
    Then when I went to do some engraving - speed 25mm/sec power 60% - it began well but then after a few minutes the lines became lighter until there was no laser at all!
    I would restart the PC and the Laser Cutter, start again and the same would happen after another few minutes engraving. The laser tube glows when firing but when I place paper between the tube and first mirror it does not even mark the paper!
    So my question is...am I correct in assuming the tube (which is 12 months old ) is failing or is it a power supply fault? ...or something else?
    I am looking at a 45w CO2 tube and maybe a 40-60w Power Supply from Lightobject.com.

Re: Laser loses power after a minute or two, will not mark wood

I can not describe all the ways these tubes fail. it would be interesting to get posts from other users. My 40 watt tube outputted circles which wouldn't focus anymore. it was strong enough to burn paper. I'm sure high temperatures was the reason for the failure. An amp meter on the tube would tell you if its getting power and also keep you from over powering it. Similar need to monitor water temperature. Unless it got shocked hard by a drop or something those two things are the only way you can fail a tube in that little amount of use. Assuming the tube and PS was of decent quality in the first place.

Hello WolverineX, this is Nolan from ThunderLaser, hope my suggestion can help you.
    1. according to your problems, I think there is something wrong with your laser tube, maybe its power is run up.
    2. if you need to change the power of your laser tube, you should confirm that your machine can install longer laser tube, because larger power laser tube is longer.
    3. and if you install larger power laser tube, you also need to changer the power supply as well.
    4. after you replace the laser tube, maybe you need to align the laser beam, this video will teach you how to do it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw8Ro2vEEzY

hope my suggestion can help you. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by WolverineX View Post
    I previously posted this in the wrong section...sorry if you've already viewed it!

Hello all!

I have searched the forum and read many posts, but cant seem to find a definate answer.
    I have a chinese Laser Cutter SH350 D (or G) bought in April 2014, over the winter months I found I was having to increase power and/or slow down speeds to cut through 3mm Plywood.
    So I cleaned the mirrors and lenses, and aligned everything.
    Then when I went to do some engraving - speed 25mm/sec power 60% - it began well but then after a few minutes the lines became lighter until there was no laser at all!
    I would restart the PC and the Laser Cutter, start again and the same would happen after another few minutes engraving. The laser tube glows when firing but when I place paper between the tube and first mirror it does not even mark the paper!
    So my question is...am I correct in assuming the tube (which is 12 months old ) is failing or is it a power supply fault? ...or something else?
    I am looking at a 45w CO2 tube and maybe a 40-60w Power Supply from Lightobject.com.
    Hi Sir,

Maybe your mirror isn't work any more or the laser source has problem. Here we have a 60W co2 laser machine model can cut plywood thickness up to 12mm, use newest RDC board and RF laser, and price only $3550 for 1000*600mm working area. if you have interest please send email to me. Welcome!

Best&Rgds
    Apple
    EETO Machinery Co., Ltd
    Office 1401, Building B3, Wanda Plaza, Economic & Technology Development Zone, Wuhan, China
    Tel:400-027-1897 Fax:027-84618501
    Mobile: +86-15527861820(Whatsapp Available)
    Web:www.eetomachinery.com
    E-Mail:[email protected]

Thank you for the offer, but I'm going to try and repair the machine I have. Without any testing equipment, and taking into account the age of the tube, I bought a new 45W tube and suitable power supply from Lightobject. I had to pay Customs charges on BOTH items!
    I have fitted the tube and power supply and will solder the wires to the tube tomorrow when I pick up a new Soldering iron. Will post results when all is aligned.

Well its all up and running, and tube is more powerful than the Shenhui was when I bought it new! Very, very happy with the results and relieved it is all working again. I did remove the plate on the right of my machine to fit the new longer tube, and am fabricating a cover for it. Lightobject packed the tube and the separate power supply well and they got to the UK undamaged within 3 days, then the customs held both packages for four days and I had to pay £80 ($126) upon collection.

Quote Originally Posted by WolverineX View Post
    Well its all up and running, and tube is more powerful than the Shenhui was when I bought it new! Very, very happy with the results and relieved it is all working again. I did remove the plate on the right of my machine to fit the new longer tube, and am fabricating a cover for it. Lightobject packed the tube and the separate power supply well and they got to the UK undamaged within 3 days, then the customs held both packages for four days and I had to pay £80 ($126) upon collection.
    Hello WolverineX:

Thank you for selecting us as your laser supplier. I'm glad that things went well and the tube arrived saftely. BTW, please do NOT use soldering iron trying to wire the HV to the tube as doing so it may damage the bonding between the metal and the glass.

Regarding duty tax, if a customer request, we can mark lower price to avoid heay duty tax from certain countries like UK, Brizil, Germany... However, doing so the insurance covrage will be less. But then again, you can count on our packing more than other supplier can do. We have soft foam protect the tube in a inner box, then another layer of soft foam to wrap up the box and contained it by a bigger box. So, it is double cusion and double box. Technically speaking, it is impossible to crack a tube unless someone hit it hard intentionally.

Again, thank you for your support and thank you for your business!

Regards,
    Marco
    LightObject

Lightobject service was top notch Marco! Thank you.
    With regards to the soldering, what I did was wrap the wire around the pin and then a quick dab of solder to fix the wire in place before covering with silicone tubing and filling with high temp silicone sealant.
    For the tube extension cover I actually laser cut a box using 'boxmaker' imported it into CorelDraw played with it to lose the base and make one side flat (to go against the machine case) and used the plate from the Shenhui as the 'lid' all held in place with 3 lengths of M4 (or M5?) studded bar and a few nuts.