Hi!

As the title says... Need advice here,,, My Emco just started acting crazy..

Started it up 2 hours ago. It homed to reference point just fine. Changed tool fine, and the spindle ran fine for the first run over the working piece(I was in manual mode when this happened). Then all of a sudden the spindle motor started stalling. At first it made a couple of hiccups, and 2 secs later it went into stall, and it's been there since.. I tried restarting the machine without any change. Now it stalls and make noise when pushing the auxillary button. It stutters and shakes until the spindle driver seem to shut off. This takes approx. 15-20 secs. Steppers and drivers still works and I can home the machine without problems, and move around the table while in manual mode. The problem seem to be isolated to the spindle and it's driver. My TM02 controller emits a high frequency noise when 'Aux on' is activated. I now know that it's the spindle driver doing this noise. It has always done this, and I've run several hundred hours on this machine. I don't know if this is a common thing with these controllers in conjuction with a mill. I got an Emcoturn 120 with TM02 controller aswell, and it does not emit this high pitched noise. I'm perplexed, I checked all 4 brushes on the spindle motor and they seem to be almost new. The manual says that they are 16mm in length when new, and should be replaced if shorter than 6mm. The brushes are at least 12-13mm long, and the spring got good tension. At this point I'm stuck. But to be honest I'm quite tired of this controller. Im about to upload a video showing the behavior of the machine on Vimeo. It'll be available in 40 minutes. I'll link it later, right now I just want some opinions.

What do you guys think? Is the machine trying to tell me that it wants a retrofit? Has anyone come across this problem before? Any advice, hint or thought is appreciated, I'm clueless..

Thanks in advance!

//Johan