585,722 active members*
4,417 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Not getting signal through bob

Not getting signal through bob

I started to hook stuff up to my control box and ran across a problem. For some reason I don't get any signals through the breakout board. I did test the parallel port sorta by measuring the voltage to pins 2 3 4 etc by setting them as dir and changing it and measuring with a voltmeter. I was able to detect the + 4.3v vs .1v when I changed the dir. I also tested this through the db25 cable. But I can't get anything through the breakout board. Currently I am using a c10 board just to get everything started. So does anybody have any ideas? Also I'd like to know if anybody knows if it matters if you put +5vdc vs ground into the gecko 320x com.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429075083.320242.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	276866

Re: Not getting signal through bob

Ianagos,

Move the com jumper to pins 2-3, that will provide 5 volts to the Gecko "Com" connection.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

I tried that and was unsuccessful

Question Re: Not getting signal through bob

Ianagos,

Is the X6 jumper set to output?

See attached image.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Yes it is. I'm wondering what it is because I'm measuring 3 volts at the terminal that goes to the gecko. That doesn't change at all but this is only when com is set to +5vdc when it's set to ground this does not occur. This also only happens to the lines connected to the gecko drives. The next thing I will try is a new computer and also isolating the bob from the case.

Attachment 276914Attachment 276916

The G320X uses a universal optoisolator interface polarity circuit. The 'COMMON' terminal (term. 10) may be ground-referenced or 5VDC-referenced. The STEP and DIRECTION inputs are pull-down loads when COMMON is connected to controller GND. The STEP and DIRECTION inputs are pull-up loads when COMMON is connected to controller +5VDC.

I still have not gotten it to work but I I'm wondering if it could be the small capacitor in the corner of the board when I received the board this was damaged ( bent over) and I left it but I saw it again yesterday and I noticed how loose it is. Could that cause any problems?

Not getting signal through bob

I think I've found the problem. I'm going to resolder it and see if it works. The problem is there is a little capacitor that was not soldered on one leg. I might as well have bought a cheap Chinese bob. ( maybe this is Chinese?) but crap like this irritates me.

Edit: I tried it and nothing