585,605 active members*
3,143 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

noise level of 3600 RPM motor with gear head

does anyone have a 3600 RPM motor mounted to their IH or other gear head mill? i'm just curious as to how much louder it is. the gear head seems pretty loud as it is with the stock motor, i expect a little increase for the higher speeds but will it be unbearable?

I never ran the stock motor so I cant compare.
    But I dont find the noise it generates to be bad. I should run it at half speed and then full speed.
    Randy

FWIW: My gearhead on the mill is also pretty loud (compared to the gearhead lathe right next to it). I pulled the motor off recently hoping that the noise was the motor. Unfortunately, the motor spins very quietly and the noise is in the gearhead. I have the IH mill from a year ago. Mobil DTE Heavy Medium (ISO 68) is currently in the head but that may be switched to DTE Light in the near future as there currently is a lot of foaming.

Has anybody here removed the gears in the head and gone with a belt drive with a VFD controlling the motor????

I believe Arron converted one to beltdrive and also to cat30. It was up on the website for awile.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    I believe Arron converted one to beltdrive and also to cat30. It was up on the website for awile.
    Randy
    cat 30? ??? tell me more. please?
    dad used to say... "once is ignorance. the second time you're stupid!"

I dont know much about it . It was up on the website as the light Industrial version. He does have an upgraded servo system he calles that but he use to have up the converted spindle.
    Randy

Runner - I replaced the stock motor with a faster 3600 rpm this evening and found the mill to have a much more tolerable sound if not actually quieter. It is now more of a high pitch were instead of a low pitch clanking of gears.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Runner - I replaced the stock motor with a faster 3600 rpm this evening and found the mill to have a much more tolerable sound if not actually quieter. It is now more of a high pitch were instead of a low pitch clanking of gears.
    I am glad to hear that. I never ran the stock motor so I had nothing to compare to but the new motor was never an assualt on my ears.
    Which motor did you go with?
    Randy

Randall - I got the same motor that Aaron recommends on his web site. It is a metric Leeson 192074 from Motor Warehouse. They cut the shaft down for an extra $100 and it arrived two or three days after I ordered it. The VFD is a 3HP Hitachi SJ200 from Automation4Less.

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.co...ange_mount.htm

Same as I did then. I like the vfd run motor alot more options for cnc control.
    Randy