585,996 active members*
4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > VFD/Water Cooled Spindle Help
Page 1 of 2 12

VFD/Water Cooled Spindle Help

I have been building a CNC machine and finally i'm almost at the end of my project. It has been a slow and long process because of the amount of money needed. Everything i have learn has been with the help of the cnczone community. Well i was able to save enough to buy my VFD/Spindle. I finally received the package the other day and after going through the whole box i noticed that something was missing. The power cord is missing. How am i going to power this spindle? Being that i'm new and learning as i go. What do i have to do in order to get power to the VFD/2.2kw Spindle? I know that this is the way this unit is sold. What i got is a Delta VFD-C/Inverter 2.2kW 220V 1 Phase. I need help wiring this unit because thats what it looks like what i have to do. All help is really appreciated.

Re: VFD/Water Cooled Spindle Help

You need a supply consisting of 220v 1ph 15amp outlet with ground.
    You will also need power cable of some kind between VFD and motor, I use TEW/MTW single single conductor multi strand, 3 conductors and ground, used in flexible conduit, you can also get special VFD cable if you wish.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

As far as the power source where can I get a good one? Is there anywhere I can get instructions on how to connect all the wires? I have been looking but haven't been able to find anything.

AL the man thanks for your response.

You don't need a power supply. It gets plugged in to a 220v outlet.
    Some of the EBay listings for 2.2kw spindles have wiring diagrams.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hey ger21 my only problem is I know I have to connect the spindle to the VFD but how do I supply power to the VFD, theirs no wire to plug anywhere to an outlet. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Excuse my ignorance but I'm still learning. Thanks

What's the model # of your VFD?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have the Delta VFD C200. Is this one a good one for my needs? I mostly will do hobby stuff and other small things.

By supply I meant a 220v supply from your panel.
    Some use a unused dryer circuit if it is available, if not you would need to run a 220v supply from a dual 15a or 20a breaker in your panel to a suitable outlet.
    Al.

Albert E.

Well being that rent I can't really run a line from panel. I'm going to ask my landlord but until then, can I just use the power outlet from my dryer. I was thinking of maybe getting an extension cord rated for 220v and stripping the one end to connect to the VFD. So with this type of set up I can unplug unit so when my wife need to dry. Will something like this work? Thank you so much for the input from you guys on here.

Yes you could do this in a pinch, but you would need to set up the correct fusing between the dryer outlet and the input to the VFD.
    You only need 2 conductors (both fused) and ground, no neutral needed.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks for your reply Al. I'm not an electrician so I was wondering if you can explain it in simple English for a person with the limited knowledge that I have could understand. When I started this project I thought the only problem I was going to have was learning the computer programing which I could learn a lot esier. Hope I'm not bothering you to much but I really will like to this the right way. I will not be able to hardwire the VFD but will do someday with the help of an electrician . So for now I'll go to home depot and purchase the wire needed with your help to get this machine up and running. Thanks again

most of us, not so well versed of electronics..
    try to find on the net your vfd manual

example type in google delta vfd and anything you find for identificating your vfd, and you find a pdf at least..

if no luck, then find the company made it.. they email you a manual..

those pdfs has diagram, showing where and how you can connect the wire to hook on power..

also try to find description about emi/rfi filtering..

its a little ""metal box""
    it filters out the rf noise..

If you want to run a supply from your dryer plug, obtain a length of 3 conductor rubber sheathed cable 240v and GND, a 30amp plug for the dryer end and a Air Condition fused disconnect for the VFD end, fuse it for the VFD rating H.D. have a Siemens version.
    Al.

Albert E.

Jerseydog

Here is a little information that will help you with your wiring, It is recommended, that you use Shielded Cable for your install

Igus is a good supplier of shielded cable, Check the chart for your wire Gauge/size you need for your model VFD

igus
    Mactec54

I love this place..

heres the pdf if you weren't find yet..

I purchased long time ago a huangyand drive.. took 3 days to get courage to hook on power. :-)
    for first it really confusing the wiring for folks like me..

I would also think about fitting an emc/rfi filter into the mains feed to the drive, I have just installed a chinese 2.2kw inverter drive and it put that much interference back down the mains feed it was causing the xyz axis to move randomly not a lot but the odd step here and there when the machine was not moving, fitting a filter in-between the mains and the spindle drive eliminated this completely. You must also use shielded cable between the drive and the spindle the shield should be connected to earth at the drive end and the plug/spindle body at the spindle end, you should aim for 0.1 ohms resistance between the spindle body and earth at the drive end of the cable run, if you have a long cable run this often means going up in cable size to get lower resistance.
    David
    ( never stop learning )
    http://www.steamcastings.co.uk/

David thanks for your input I have came to the conclusion that I will have to hire an electrician to make all the connections for me. I need to also have a on and off switch between the outlet and VFD to be able to turn the VFD before disconnecting from outlet. I don't have the option of hard wiring my VFD so my next option will be this type of set up. So when you say main feed to the drive are you talking about the line from the wall to VFD? I'm still learning so I will like to set this up the right way. Thanks

Hi Jerseydog,

Yes, the line from the wall to the vfd. On my setup, I run all the cnc kit for a router setup ( monitor power, pc power, coolant pump, stepper driver cabinet and vfd all from the same 15A fused spur - like a switched socket but with it's own fuse ) this is all controlled by one switch. The problem I had was that of noise going from the vfd back up its mains power supply and down into the stepper driver cabinet, the mains filter is as close to the vfd as I could get and it filters both the live and neutral feed ( in your case from the wall to the vfd ).

An electrician will be able to spec/source an emi/rfi filter for your vfd, the one I just got was £18 from RS Components ( quite an expensive supplier but they deliver next day - just what you need if you can't wait ).
    David
    ( never stop learning )
    http://www.steamcastings.co.uk/

Most VFD manuf recommend a contactor disconnect on the VFD input, this enable the any E-stop to disconect the VFD according to code.
    I would tend to put any money into a 3ph inductor on the VFD output, this not only is easier on the Motor, if non-vector rated, but also on the VFD.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hey guys i was wondering if you could post links of the items you mention on your post. I will like to buy the parts before getting someone to wire my VFD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 2 12