584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Centurion V diy SBC upgrade

Centurion V diy SBC upgrade

Hi,

You're all probably tired of seeing all these threads about diy upgrading the controllers...
    But being at a geographical disadvantage, shipping this thing back and forth Norway<---->USA=hazzle.( plus maybe saving a few bucks, that i could have made many times over in the hours spent on this...) I thought i'd try it.

first things first:Type: Partner MB20, Machine serial: M-4055 (this number is stamped on the control box and it also appears on the parameter disks issued from milltronics)
    I initially thought this was a centurion 6 becausse that's what it says on the front panel, but this machine has had a panel replacement and lcd upgrade when it was with it's previous owner.

i bought a sbc, PCA-6782D-S8A1E and backplane, PCA-6108E-0C2E from advantech.
    installed cards in control box and installed dos and software on cf-card.

Everything boots up without errors, i'm not seeing the 'reset drive alarm' on startup either.

so i press 'home' --> sequence start' blinks, when i press start i get a 'beep' from the controller and nothing else.

i have a 'gallery' site where i've uploaded some pictures of bios and of the keyboard connection to the sbc, also shot a video(poor qualiity) of the boot-up and homing attempt.

i've tried just about every possible setting in bios, with no luck.

i've also tried using the hard drive that was on the old motherboard with exactly same results.

are there parameters in the software that needs to changed when upgrading to a SBC.

access to pic's and video here milltronics

Frank

Edit: noticed from an older picture i had taken that i had misplaced the ribbon cables for the P3 connections, but sorting that out did not help.

Re: Centurion V diy SBC upgrade

Ok, so i'm at least having a little progress here.

when i get into the software i can't use reset button to clear drives and emergency button does'nt seem to do anything(but yet i does)
    i press home --> cycle start --->'beep' but now the reset button works, so i reset drives , and Now i can home the machine, all axes move to home position.

But if i press emergency button, i can't do anything till i try to home again, then i get a beep from the controller and i can use reset button to make it work again, but no error messages are ever displayed.

i do get the error message 'home required' but nothing when using emergency button, and nothing upon loading the software.

Also spindle has no function

Frank, In your Advanced PCI/PnP Settings 1: Turn off plug and play O/S 2: set all your irqs to reserved

Ron

i have disabled the plug and play os/2 setting.and reserved all irq's.

does anyone what specific irq's the control needs to have reserved? or does it just use one that is available? what about dma channels?

seems a little strange that some signals come through but not all, so in addition to setting the bios correctly i think i'll have to check the wiring that connects to the control box, to see if something came loose when i had it out.

Frank

Looks like it was just a stupid mistake.....
    unplugged all connectors, inspected and reseated them. Now it works!
    One of them must not have been seated properly.

Are you able to use USB with this setup? Are you running an Xp embedded sbc?

the software is running under dos6.22
    i have not tested it but this guy makes it seem like it would be possible to use usb Bret Johnson's Home Page