585,589 active members*
3,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for some composite routing

Guys,

I am about to embark on a boat building project.

I wanted to see if anyone had any interest in trying to support their expensive CNC habit by doing some router work for what will become 'First Light' - 55' proa.

The job will entail 2 axis CNC routing on 4' x 8' sheets of composite sandwich consisting of either honeycomb/fiberglass/epoxy or balsa/fiberglass/epoxy. Will be about 3/4" thick. I imagine there wil be between 15-20 sheets once things are all nested up. \

Addtionally, there are two rudders that will need 3 axis contouring. They are rectangular and are 10 feet long but can be routed in two set-ups. The profile is symmetrical along the entrie length of the blade.

My ideal world would have the person in the Northeast with experience routing composite materials. I have quite a bit of information from cutter companies on feeds, speeds and cutters for the materials I've got.

Several parts will also need to be made on two sheets since will not fit into the 4' x 8' envelope.

Any interest, please let me know...

I've gotten quite a bit out of this site for my mill and lathe and was hoping to try and keep it in the family..

I've got the foam for the rudder and am looking to do the 3 axis profiling asap. The rest of the work will be in about 6-8 weeks.

Cheers,

Tony

Tony,
    Anyone respond yet? I am in the northeast (N.H.) I have a 4' x 8' router I could probably get acess to a larger machine to get the rudder done in 1 set up.
    Cutmore

Hey I'd be interested.. the only problem is my machine isn't up and running [just yet] its close but.. I'll have a 8'6" x 18' x 4' machine envelope when its done.. I'd love to make you some molds for the whole hull as well as the other flat parts. If your looking to do this over the next couple years and can wait for 2-3 months until my machine is up and running, I'd be interested if not.. well I hope someone pipe's up and is able to route your parts.
    Either way good luck w/ your project! It's exciting to get-er started isn't it

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

My machine is pretty much done. Now just dealing with the learning curve dealing with it's capiabilitys see this thread for pics of the machine http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26768

~50"x ~102"y 11"z

I'm in michigan. not sure how much help I'd be generating proper tool paths and such since I'm new and might not have all the software to do all the things that might be required/needed just yet..

b.