585,981 active members*
4,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Power Drawbar OR Motorized Rotary Table with 4th Axis Kit?
Page 1 of 2 12

Power Drawbar OR Motorized Rotary Table with 4th Axis Kit?

Both the Power Drawbar and the Motorized Rotary Table with 4th Axis Kit are about the same price. I have budget to add one of them.
    Any user input as to which I should get first?

Re: Power Drawbar OR Motorized Rotary Table with 4th Axis Kit?

+1 for the Power Drawbar

David

Being this is a hobby machine I never can see the reason to need any faster tool changes than any quick change system out I would say youll use the 4th axis much more.

Do you have a specific project that you know will require you to use the 4th axis in the near future?

If not, definitely go for the PDB. You will use the PDB multiple times a day;it is more than likely that you would go weeks without using a 4th axis.

Are you getting sprutcam or some other CAM software that will make use of 4th axis capability? Because hand-programing a 4th axis isn't going to get you much....
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

What tmarks said. You will use the PDB on EVERY job. I've been doing milling for 15 years now, and I've never once needed a 4th axis - there are almost always other ways of accomplishing the same task. If you'll be using it a lot, it may make more sense than the PDB, but I think that would be the exception to the rule. Most people will rarely, if ever, need a 4th axis.

Regards,
    Ray L.

+1 for the Power Drawbar
    This makes tool changes simple and fast. The pdb switch takes a beating it is used that much on my mill.
    md

I thought about the exact same thing when I bought my mill.

Get the PDB - I used the mill for almost a week before installing the PDB just to see how bad it was. The PDB is the greatest invention ever. I have been running an old RF45 for years and never thought twice about tool changes, but the PDB on the Tormach makes life so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    +1 for the Power Drawbar
    This makes tool changes simple and fast. The pdb switch takes a beating it is used that much on my mill.
    md
    I have worn one of the pdb switche assemblys out, I made one and put two switches in it, one isnt used, just a spare, I used a locking switch that locks open when pushed, an additional push is needed to lock the tool in place, now that I am used to it, I like it better than the original.
    mike sr

Looks like the consensus favors the PDB.

I agree on the PDB first, they are really nice.

I would like a 4th but its a bit pricey for no more than I would use it.
    mike sr

changing tools by hand add`s lots of time to any job if your short you will need a still, not so bad when your 6,2 but its still sucks changing tools and tool holders by hand. I use my 4th axis 10 times a year
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Get The PDB, if you need the 4th Axis get it then! As you are in the US its no big deal to you to get it later, I got as much as I could when I got my mill to save on overseas freight. I still got the PDB later because it wasn't out when I got the mill.
    Will

Have to chime in PDB as well. In nearly a year I've yet to setup and use the 4th axis. Use the PDB non stop (of course I have the ATC as well, but honestly, I can't imagine not having the PDB as I run several parts without the ATC or with more tools than the ATC holds).

WW
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com

I bought my machine with the PDB. 4th axis came 3 1/2 years later. I've had the 4th axis now for 6 months and I haven't used it yet. If I don't use it soon, I might consider selling it.

I also have a 5C indexer that indexes every 15 degrees. Never used that either.

Needless to say, I have a lot of tools I seldom if ever use.

I don't have the ATC on my machine. That came about 4 months after I took delivery. I got my machine in July, 2011 and I first saw the ATC at the Little Machine Shop open house the end of October the same year.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

This question sounds a little like "Should I buy a screwdriver or a pipe wrench?" It all depends on what work you want to do. You'll probably use the screwdriver far more often but if you really need a pipe wrench for some jobs there is no alternative. I bought the 4th axis because I had some specific work (cutting helical gears and engraved numbers on graduated cylinders) for which there are few alternatives to rotating the work. Every day I wish that I had a PDB and plan to get one when I can afford it. If you can't afford both then get the one that is essential regardless of how often it is used.

I got the 4th first; while I just did a job I couldn't have done any other way, that's happened twice in two years that I've had the machine. Meanwhile, I've wrenched god knows how many tool changes.

While hobby work doesn't "pay" in time the same way paid work does, anything that helps you make parts faster and with less fuss will enhance your enjoyment.

Thanks for the great feedback. PDB does seem to make more sense at the moment.

I bought my machine with the 4th axis and added the PDB later. I use both but really use the PDB every time for a tool change. However if there is a task which needs a 4th axis, then I can do without the PDB only its a major PIA to do tool changes. Truthfully I need both at times but use the PDB everytime.

Don Clement

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    You will use the PDB multiple times a day;it is more than likely that you would go weeks without using a 4th axis.....
    But you can change tools without a PDB you can't do 4th axis jobs without a 4th axis.

Should I buy a knife or a spoon, it depends on whether you are going to cut up steak or eat soup?

Phil

That is a hard one, I agree with Phil. The 4th axis is crucial to my work so I would pick that one. The pdb is a real convenience tool but you can still run your machine without it.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    But you can change tools without a PDB you can't do 4th axis jobs without a 4th axis.

Should I buy a knife or a spoon, it depends on whether you are going to cut up steak or eat soup?

Phil

Page 1 of 2 12