584,812 active members*
5,534 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Mach 4

Page 1 of 2 12

Mach 4

I have been using the new Mach 4 on my tormach for a couple weeks and really like it.
    Was very easy to transition from the Mach 3.
    Started using Cutter comp and its working great.
    Is there anyone else here on the CNC Zone forum running a tormach with Mach 4?

Re: Mach 4

You using the PP plug-in?
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I am not very knowlegable on the controls or software but believe PP refers to a parallel port and the answer is no.
    There is a smooth stepper I believe and a very nice pendant. The pendant makes setup up work easier and faster.

sweet. I didn't realize the smooth-stepper plug-in had made it to prime time. Nice to hear a positive report. You using the ethernet SS, I presume?

How hard was it to set it up to work on your tormach? Did you have to come up with the configuration or did warp9 come up with it?

EDIT: I see the mach4 (beta) ESS plug-in was released yesterday (April 19). Good to finally see some mach4 plug-ins showing up.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Yes the smooth stepper plugs into the Ethernet port. Works very nice.
    Was very easy to set up. And like I said the transition from Mach 3 to Mach 4 was very easy also.

welcome to the M4 club
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am using mach3, can I just wipe out mach3 and install mach4 to run my hardware? Is that easy?

you use the same settings they are just put in differently what hardware do you have pp or what. it is easy as long as you don't expect it to be like M3 I did a M4 install to day it took 1 hour including testing.

if you have a tormach same model and a ESS as op you could just use his profile easy as that

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I will have new controller and motor next month same as I have now, then I will try with Mach4 with this new machine..

For all of us ignoramus out there, can the MACH4er's tell us what we would need to upgrade to MACH4 other than the license? I am reading Smooth Stepper, Ethernet, etc. Seems like I need the SW, the license, some extra hardware and a Tormach compatible configuration file. Is there any place detailing the details?
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Dude View Post
    For all of us ignoramus out there, can the MACH4er's tell us what we would need to upgrade to MACH4 other than the license? I am reading Smooth Stepper, Ethernet, etc. Seems like I need the SW, the license, some extra hardware and a Tormach compatible configuration file. Is there any place detailing the details?
    I believe RonGinger can answer those questions better than I.
    My understanding is there will be a mach 4 installer available for the tormach machines at some point.
    My tormach 1100 can also run on mach 3 with the mach 4 on the same computer.
    Both are in my tormach computer that came when I purchased the tormach 1100.

Mach3 and Mach4 can both be on the PC at the same time, they do not interfere in any way. So you can load M4 and try it out and still go back to your old M3 simply by clicking the right icon to start up.

There is a parallel port driver for M4, but frankly I would switch to a hardware motion device. There are several available now, the Ethernet smoothstepper, a usbSmartBOB from PMDX.com and one from Poscope.com There are also a couple high end devices, like galil (sp?). These are out of my price range so I dont follow them.

The Pokey device has the advantage of lots of input/output pins to hook up things like MPGs and other pendants.

We were running a mini mill at the NAMES show this past weekend using the usbSmartBOB from PMDX.com This is a neat device, the entire motion control is in a slightly enlarged db25 connector hood, so you just plug it in to the back of the Tormach where the parallel port cable goes now and run a usb cable to the PC. Very simple to install, just download M4 from machsupport.com and the plugin form PMDX. To use the smoothstepper or pokey you will need an external 5v supply. There is work being done n a single box to hold a pokey which should be available in a week or two.

M4 is a big improvement over M3- smoother, faster. Feedhold is instant, toolpath updates are fast and dont hurt running gcode. Things like cutter comp now work to industry standards.

Well said Ron. Motion control plugins for Mach4 are certainly starting to become much more available.

As for Duracoat's system, an announcement will be made soon. If anybody wants details before then please PM me.

if some one wonted to run M4 on a tormach same model and using a ESS you just use the op`s config file and you would be going

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sounds like it might be time for me to try Mach 4 since I am using an ethernet Smoothstepper. The one question I have is will it work with the Shuttle Pro XHC wireless MPG? Looking on their web site all I see is drivers for Mach 3. If it will not work is there a similar one that does work with Mach 4 now?

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    if some one wonted to run M4 on a tormach same model and using a ESS you just use the op`s config file and you would be going
    Except that the op is not using a smoothstepper...I know that's what he said, but I can assure you that is not what is in the box That and the config won't necessarily work on other systems. And don't forget about the toolchanger, if you have one.... The op does, and it is fully operational.

Quote Originally Posted by brian257 View Post
    Sounds like it might be time for me to try Mach 4 since I am using an ethernet Smoothstepper. The one question I have is will it work with the Shuttle Pro XHC wireless MPG? Looking on their web site all I see is drivers for Mach 3. If it will not work is there a similar one that does work with Mach 4 now?
    That would be a question for shuttle pro. Some of the motion controls that are up and running with Mach4 support MPG's on control panels and pendants. The op is currently using this pendant on his machine CNC4PC

FWIW. I think that the author or main developer for Mach4 will be giving a 1-day seminar on the product at the CNC Workshop, held near or in Detroit in June.

Mike

if one machine is the same as another machine, a config file will work on another machine with the same set up so if someone had the same set up as op they can use his config.

what above means if same will work only if the same

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yes, Brian Barker the 'main guy' at ArtSoft, Newfangled Solutions and Mach4 will be at the CNC workshop in Detroit, June 15-20. He will give a few seminars (I am still working on the program so the exact times and topics are not complete yet)

see TheCNCworkshop.com for registration details- save $25, register before May1. There w ill be mini mill and 3D printer build classes, and lots more.

Page 1 of 2 12