585,948 active members*
3,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1st cnc router build

Just planing a cnc router build and was thinking which to use steppers or servos. Also any suggestions as to drives, and control software would be helpful. I'm not looking to build the cheepest but not the most expensive either. The machine will be at least 4' * 4' and may have (at least in the future) pnumatic drilling spindles along with a router.

Check out http://www.camtronics-cnc.com/ Can't go wrong with most anything he sells there.

his power supply enclosure kits are about the simplest way to get a controller up far as I can tell. I could have done it my self but the box would not have ended up as nice. Ends up being a nice compact package although I'll admit I would not mind a bit biger inclosure..

I went with servos.. and Geckos to drive.. Keep in mind which ever way you go you will be stuck with one or the other due to the expence in making the controller in the first place. (unless of course you have enough to make a second to switch). My controller is shaired between my mill and router mill. The mill was converted first and used servos (jeff's plans) Thus the Router mill ended up using servo drives as well. On the other hand I think steppers generally are a less expencive way to go..

I'm glad I am locked into servos though. I'm not sure I could deal with the lost step stuff the stepper people talk about. Probaby not a big deal and I have No experience with stepers so I can't say how big a deal that would be anyway..

b.