585,883 active members*
4,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Using CorelDRAW x6

Anybody here use CorelDraw? I have a massive usability question.

Attachment 277496

As you can see I have a corner joint of T-Slot I am designing a bracket for. The shape of the bracket is a gear. I have drawn a profile (in red) to complete the section of gear that I want to use.

How the heck do I actually cut/combine/idk so that all I have left over is the lower right quadrant of the gear with the proper strait edge profile? 99% of my design work is going to be combining objects and hacking pieces off and i Just can't figure it out.

Re: Using CorelDRAW x6

Draw a box to the left and another to the top. Then select the gear, then the box. Subtract one from the other.....not near a computer so I don't recall the exact term or icon, but its along side making a boundary box, combining etc. There are two options, subtract top (order on page) from lower and vice versa... If it does the opposite of what you want, undo and do the other.

Sorry to be so vague! Let me know if you figure it out, can post full instructions later if needed.

My god thank you! I was getting so frustrated. You spend a ton on a program and tutorial series and not get the info you need is a real downer...

What I did was drag a rectangle to match the left edge of the T-Slot that covers the gear. Select rectangle, shift select gear, "minus back from front" and bam rectangle and gear piece are gone. To ged rid of the edge teeth and create a crisp corner I selected the edge profile and gear and did a "combine" then the "node tool" and removed the unwanted part of the teeth.

Another problem I would have is when removing nodes the curves would smooth out and warp the shape but it seems if you create a bounding box and combine you must start on a "node" and not the "edge".

For the warping of the curves, you should make the last node to keep a "cusp" node and then it will not try and smooth out changes on one side. Then you can just drag other nodes to the corners or intersections you want, and perhaps change segments to lines also.

Corel is not a cad program but can do the trick most of the time.

Another trick it took me a long time to learn is that there is a docker for radius corners and if you use with the node editing tool you can radius just one corner at a time.