585,930 active members*
3,550 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > Vero Software Announces New Product, SurfCam EVO
Page 1 of 3 123

Cool Vero Software Announces New Product, SurfCam EVO

I attended the SurfCam users meeting I have been dismayed at the lack of progress made since the buy out and acquisitions of Surfcam by Vero in 2013 and then again in 2014, when Vero was sold. It seemed that SurfCam's heyday was over and I expected to be disappointed again, but you know, there was a free lunch there, so I went...

I was shocked as Surfcam has without warning announced a totally new product for 2015, and its a biggie, let me tell you. The marketing name for the new product is, SurfCam EVO

Every 5-7 years, SurfCam seems to announce something really different, in 2002 it was TrueMill then in 2009 it was all new 5-axis capabilities and 3axis Multi-Cut. What I saw today, will probably eclipse all of that, AND by a long shot.

I don't work for Vero Software and I'm not affiliated with them, their dealer network or any of their software offerings, so please don't call me some kind of Surfcam paid advocate. I've been a SurfCam user since the first year of the companies initial software release. I worked with the Diehl family way back then and was there for the launch of Truemill. The new product looks to be even more revolutionary than Truemill was in back in 2002, which is saying alot...

Some highlights that I saw:
    1. It has virtually nothing in common with SurfCam 2015, totally new 100% windows integration from the ground up.
    2. Complete Windows functionality, like SolidWorks
    3. Detachable and dockable tool bars, menus and such
    4. Complete Feature based solid model milling package
    5. Complete Feature based solid model lathe package
    6. Complete Feature based solid model Mill/Turn package
    7. Automatic Stockmodel Creation
    8. Automatic Stockmodel update after each machine operation
    9. Automatic Stockmodel update, rest machining, for mill and also for lathe and mill/turn
    10. Automatic Tool Selection for all machining and rest machining operations
    11. New engagement milling process (think: New TrueMill version)
    12. New engagement lathe turn process (think; New TrueMill for turning tools)
    13. New engagement lathe mill rotary turn process (think; TrueMill for C-axis turn/mill milling operations)
    14. Post Processor/Kinematic machine verification and integration all in one, machine selection also selects kinematics and post processor. Verification is done in with the actual post processor
    15. STL machine Kinematic graphic files, user configurable (ala VeriCut)
    16. Native CAD files open in their native format, using native kernel integration, result; zero surface or trimming errors, 100% solid model functionality and feature recognition
    17. Full 64-bit multi-thread, multi-core processor support, with background processing, user selected
    18. Automation Selectable with up to 100% automatic feature recognition, true hands free tool path creation, either one and done part programming or manual control as desired...

System requirements will be high, 64-bit, 8 core processor, 16gb ram, Quadro or ATI-Fire Pro 4gb video cards, minimum

Demonstrations are always skewed to be simple and trouble free for the demo jock, as we all know. However, I literally watched 2 and 3 axis parts imported from Pro-E and Catia for lathe, mill and mill/turn, recognized for geometric features and then machined complete with no programmer intervention. Automatic tool selection, tool type and tool length. It was almost scary, as I considered my decades of experience as a programmer being handed over to some high school kid with no machine shop experience...

Supposedly, they loaded a mill/turn program on an Okuma Multus, 5 axis mill/turn and it ran in simulation mode without errors

They stated that this is not a replacement for SurfCam 2015, but a parallel product, I'm not sure why that is, maybe a user legacy issue that they always talk about at SurfCam

-----------------------------------------------------

The cost...? I believe it will probably be like a new seat of SurfCam, depending on functionality of the product purchased, ie, 2 axis basic or advanced, 3 axis basic or advanced, lathe, mill/turn, 4/5 axis etc....

The promise..? They stated without doubt and I asked twice to be sure; ALL users currently on maintenance WILL receive both versions at the same level, (I get a full 5 axis version) as being 'grandfathered' in, though you will be required to sign up for a 2 day training class to qualify...

Any questions....?

PS. If your software support is not current, I would definitely think about sending in your maintenance update payment 2-DAY....

Re: Vero Software Announces New Product, SurfCam EVO

So....would we really need both versions?

Whats the point in having both?

Is EVO going to only be for solids and 2015 for 2D and solids?

I don't know if both versions will be needed but I'd hate to lose the old style software if there are bugs in the new software, which is always a problem with new software. If you're on current support, you can get both so no need to choose, at least not right now.

I do some 5 axis parts, and the 5 axis software is actually more like 3+2 (positioning only), so I still need full 5 axis functionality.

I didn't get to test drive the software, so I'm not sure if it works the same with wire frame technology or just solids.

I can say for certain that the lathe and mill/turn package is a 1000% upgrade from what was available before in previous versions. Its not even comparable. The software automatically creates the 2d wireframe from the solid model. Positions the chuck jaws, it then faces, turns, grooves and threads the part without operator intervention.

Check video that I found

You got a link that doesn't go to Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by Billetgrip View Post
    You got a link that doesn't go to Facebook?
    Corrected

Thank you.

I have to say that sure does look pretty but it took 20+ clicks to create ONE operation not including what it took to set up that operation.

Maybe it will be more simple actually doing it than watching.

Possible versions

SURFCAM Evo 2 Axis Milling
    SURFCAM Evo 3 Axis Standard Milling
    SURFCAM Evo 3 Axis Advanced Milling
    SURFCAM Evo 3 Axis Ultimate Milling
    SURFCAM Evo 3 Axis Standard Turning
    SURFCAM Evo 3 Axis Advanced Turning
    SURFCAM Evo 3 Axis Ultimate Turning
    SURFCAM Evo Wire
    SURFCAM Evo Part Modeler

As I suppect is a Edgecam rename

Check after minute 8:13

From what I see this is absolutely identical to Edgecam workflow 2015.

I wonder if the support is any better from SurfCam !!... It cant be any worse!

Not surprised at all. The code inside the Surfcam program must have been so bad they couldn't save it and decided to start from a new direction. They should just admit it and give all Surfcam users one of Vero's higher end products that they sell. I don't know anything about Edgecam or what it sells for but a seat of Surfcam 3D will set you back $12k or more. To me it's still a good program, just needs to be modernized with a more friendly, windows based interface. They don't need to reinvent it into something totally different. I don't get these companies that buy up multiple companies that all perform the same service and compete for the same customers. Isn't that like playing the sweepstakes and buying all the tickets for yourself? You can't loose but you don't make any more money doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    Not surprised at all. The code inside the Surfcam program must have been so bad they couldn't save it and decided to start from a new direction. They should just admit it and give all Surfcam users one of Vero's higher end products that they sell. I don't know anything about Edgecam or what it sells for but a seat of Surfcam 3D will set you back $12k or more. To me it's still a good program, just needs to be modernized with a more friendly, windows based interface. They don't need to reinvent it into something totally different. I don't get these companies that buy up multiple companies that all perform the same service and compete for the same customers. Isn't that like playing the sweepstakes and buying all the tickets for yourself? You can't loose but you don't make any more money doing it.
    I am agree 100%

I asked them if the "old" SurfCam was going to be replaced with EVO. The answer I got was, "It depends on our customers, acceptance of EVO"...

I'm not exactly sure what that means, but whatever, if I can get the new software for the price of signing up for a training class, I'm in.

Currently EVO won't do all of the things that I need it to, since I often do full 4 and 5-axis contouring and profile machining. If it can do even 30% of the parts that I do on a regular basis, I'll probably get a 2nd seat and just use EVO for those parts.

At the user meeting SurfCam reps said that SurfCam 2015 was going to be released on 5-15, that's today.

Yeah, we'll see how that goes.....

Once again customers were not heard.
    I am beta tester and I seem to be the few users because the forum's Surfcam anyone else there puts bugs found in the beta versions.
    I do not believe the Surfcam 2015 is going to be released so quickly, because I tested four or five versions and there is an error since the first version that makes it almost impossible to do NC programs!
    Regarding the Surfcam EVO for me is a mistake because the current users will not change. I use Surfcam to 17 years, I think the software has potential but needs to be modified to adapt to new machining and manufacturing schemes. You need a more intuitive and modern interface. For this is that customers should be heard.
    As for the policy that will be used in the presentation of the software to customers, and see which is the cost, I think again started on the wrong foot. I've seen pictures of international fairs where it was the only promotion Surfcam EVO, but I as a customer does not know anything officially. I've tried to know alert by head of product, but did not get answer yet.

Is there an English version of this someplace on the web?

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    Is there an English version of this someplace on the web?
    I'm afraid not

This is true?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solidworks-evo.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	285766

First I've seen of it....but it wouldn't surprise me......everyone else is doing it.

New info that I find on web

Page 1 of 3 123