585,759 active members*
3,910 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Some basic Laser Questions

Hi
    I have just finished building my Steel Router and it works really well
    It has a working range of 1000mm x 600mm x 150mm
    I would really like to have the facility to Laser cut Stainless Steel.
    Is it possible with these low power Laser units mentioned in these threads?
    Some Quick Questions that I would really appreciate some answers to:

1) What power Laser would I need to cut 1.5mm Stainless Steel cleanly?

2) Any Suppliers in the UK for the Laser Parts & Electronics

3) What is the rough cost for the electronics & Laser etc to get me up and running

4) Is it practical or even possible to be able to convert my CNC Router over to a Laser and vice versa quickly and easily?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Hi Andy,

1) I really dont know but undoubtedly very powerful. Probably in the range of hundreds of watts. Also if the stainless is nice and polished it may reflect the beam with bad results for your health.

2) Not that Im aware of but there's probably some suppliers to the medical professions.

3) If your looking to get your lasers in the UK they're going to be quite expensive as they will have to conform to lots of regulations. Also, powerful lasers such as what you would want to cut stainless with are regulated and you might need some sort of license or permission, to buy, own, use, and or import one.

4) As inexperienced as I am, Im going to go on a limb here, and say basically....no. You would have to constantly re-adjust the mirrors as the router application would probably slightly move them. Also there are completely different parts on a laser that need to be in place and adjusted and safe from getting damaged etc etc. I dont think this is a viable option.

People have adapted a router to take a quick (relatively) changeover to plasma cutting. Maybe this would be an option for you to look into.
    These replies are just my opinion and may be proved wrong by someone else.

I know you don't need a license or anything for a high powered laser in the UK, but you do need to consider the HSE.

For cutting stainless you will probably want/need an O2 or air assist, and at least 1500W beam power (and a lot more if you want to cut anything beyond a mm thick or so!). Higher powered beams allow you to cut faster, but the beam must be hot enough to melt the steel almost instantly, otherwise there are lots of issues with beam reflection of the IR. Fortunately, once the metal is molten the IR absorption rockets upwards, so once started, the cut is faster and more efficient. The air/O2 assist helps clear the dross out the way, and also adds to the heat as the molten steel burns slightly.

Here is a graphic showing rate vs. thickness for different technologies. Note the CO2 power is 2600W. http://www.twi.co.uk/professional/twiimages/jk53f3.jpg

As Dairmaid suggests, you might be better with a plasma system if you are going to be cutting only metals, as the running costs are lower. The only real downside is that the cut accuracy of a plasma is about 1 to 2 mm, while a laser is well under 1mm. If I could find somewhere to buy one I wouldn't be thinking of a high powered laser...

Currently, I'm thinking a small CNC plasma (with the option to detact the head for handheld use) and a small laser engraver. I'm only thinking of a high powered laser due to my being a laser fan.

As Dairmaid suggests, you might be better with a plasma system if you are going to be cutting only metals, as the running costs are lower. The only real downside is that the cut accuracy of a plasma is about 1 to 2 mm, while a laser is well under 1mm. If I could find somewhere to buy one I wouldn't be thinking of a high powered laser...

Currently, I'm thinking a small CNC plasma (with the option to detact the head for handheld use) and a small laser engraver. I'm only thinking of a high powered laser due to my being a laser fan.
    Thanks for the info, it seems like a lot of hassle to get a up & running Laser that will cut harder materials like Stainless etc.
    I have looked into converting my CNC Router to take a Hand-Held Plasma cutter, and fitting the Torch Height Gizmo.
    This seems like the best option for me.
    Perhaps when funds allow I will buy the Plasma.
    Trouble is I need to buy a Press Brake to fold the parts that the Plasma will produce, and one is no use without the other!

Thanks

Andy

Estimate:
    CO2:500W.
    I hoped demonstrates my cnc,laser and model
    www.modelcn.cn