585,712 active members*
4,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Buying advise, EZ Trak SX or Prototrak MX2

I have been interested in picking up a Bridgeport for a while and stumbled across a couple deals (or are they?)

I am a mechanical engineer and on occasions I do some small jobs for work because we have no machine shop in the office. I also do a fair bit of hobby machining. I like the idea of having a 2 axis cnc for flexibility of cutting holes, profiles etc. but I would need something fairly easy to learn.

So what I came across:
    Prototrak MX2 for $3500 including a power Z axis.
    EZ Trak SX for $4200
    Both include a vise, but no other tooling. They are not plugged in and can not be tested.

Are either worth the risk?
    What are the ages of the models?
    How much have the user interfaces come along since these were made?

Thanks a bunch

I can tell you that the EZTRAK-SX is the oldest version. It booted from a floppy, had no hard drive, and came with a 286 or 386 processor. Is it still in the original configuration is unknown. It is very possible that parts of the control have been upgraded. The original BMDC board would not allow the current 3rd axis option to be installed. This is not to mean that it is a bad machine. On the contrary, these were very reliable controls. Just be aware that it is a dated control.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I wouldn't buy either one unless I could see it boot under power.....