584,842 active members*
4,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Automating tool setter

I have a super mini 2 and I am finding myself not using the tool setter alot in order to use the max travels of the machine on my fixture. From the controls perspective how hard would it be to automate the tool setter. I don't have alot of experience programming macro. I suppose there will have to be a change made to the built in probing macros. Is that even possible?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re: Automating tool setter

What are you trying to automate exactly? All the probing routines are automated, you fill in the data on the offsets page, tell it to touch off too 1-9 and it does.

I have an Excell sheet with lots of macros saved for probing and safe probe movement and put them directly in my code at my desk. That is for parts that need individual touch off because I can't use a stop obviously.

You can't automate anything. Hell you could use a relay output to allow you to keep the touch off tool on a rail and have it slide in and out when needed. I've often thought about how nice that would be even if manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    What are you trying to automate exactly? All the probing routines are automated, you fill in the data on the offsets page, tell it to touch off too 1-9 and it does.

I have an Excell sheet with lots of macros saved for probing and safe probe movement and put them directly in my code at my desk. That is for parts that need individual touch off because I can't use a stop obviously.

You can't automate anything. Hell you could use a relay output to allow you to keep the touch off tool on a rail and have it slide in and out when needed. I've often thought about how nice that would be even if manual.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I would like to put it on linear rails. My first thought was an air cylinder to push it in and out. If you wanted to get very fancy you could also put a proximity sensor on the sliding rail fixture that confirmed that the sliding tool setter was in place before the tool setting macros was completed.
    After researching a bit it appears as though there are 5 relay outputs of the haas that can be configured and accessed via M21-M25
    And I beleive there to be 1 Discreet input (M-Fin?)

If need be I can easily program a PLC to handle the driving of the air solenoids in and out and also the possible addition of the proximity sensor.

So I guess the first thing that needs to be tackled would be editing the Haas Probing cycles. I found in the manual where there is a list of O#### macros for the probing operations, but I am unfamiliar with how to edit (if possible at all) these macros

***** MY ASSSUMPTIONS *****
    Tool set cycle called
    Pre-emptive move Z to clear any fixtures and what not
    M21 (PLC sees Relay close, energizes solenoid for drive air, Once proximity sensor has been tripped PLC Output M-Fin to Haas Control)
    Haas completes the tool probing cycle as normal
    M22 (PLC sees Realy M22 Close, Energizes solenoid for retract air, short timer, or another prox switch to very it returned home, PLC outut to M-Fin Haas control)
    Haas continues with operations as normal

Am i totally off base with these assumptions???????

The plc side of things are very simple for me I am a bit out of depth for the haas side of controls

Any help is appreciated

just confirmed with my local Haas trainer that what i have above is all acurate and good to go
    im going to work on designing a fixture to ride on a set of linear rails, hopefully it will be plenty accurate (with ball bearing guides it should be plenty repeatable. I may get fancy and put an air blast manifold on the front of the sliding assembly to clean off the rails as it moves forward. while im at it probably an air blast for the tool setter (it bothers me that there isnt one built in)

Quote Originally Posted by mioduz View Post
    just confirmed with my local Haas trainer that what i have above is all acurate and good to go
    im going to work on designing a fixture to ride on a set of linear rails, hopefully it will be plenty accurate (with ball bearing guides it should be plenty repeatable. I may get fancy and put an air blast manifold on the front of the sliding assembly to clean off the rails as it moves forward. while im at it probably an air blast for the tool setter (it bothers me that there isnt one built in)
    Sounds like a pretty cool project. Keep us updated on the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Sounds like a pretty cool project. Keep us updated on the progress.
    As to not dump a ton of cash or time into a project that may not work I have a prototype designed to do some testing on. any suggestions from you guys as to improvements/changes?

I am not going to automate this mockup at all. The intention is to put it into place and drive the tray back and forth manually with air. and test repeat ability of the location. I did not design in any stops of any kind this is relying solely on the cylinders max travel to stop the carriage. Not sure if that is going to be very repeatable. If yes then its easy, if no then more work will be required.

As I look at the design i think the premade cylinder mount is going to be the week point especially with only 1 end supported. I will likely fabricate the riser block and mount out of one solid peice of aluminum for rigidity

Quote Originally Posted by mioduz View Post
    As I look at the design i think the premade cylinder mount is going to be the week point especially with only 1 end supported. I will likely fabricate the riser block and mount out of one solid peice of aluminum for rigidity
    If you have a strong enough cylinder that pushes against a precision stop, you might be okay with repeatability as long as you can guard against chips/debris causing interference. Maybe incorporate an ultra sensitive switch to confirm in position at the stop, if that is possible since it will have to detect if it is out of place by more than .0005". Is it possible to mount some type of shot pin in such a small space to locate X & Y?

If it repeats 0.0003 or better over time on Z I'll take one! I'm guessing one could add a permanent riser to get it up above a vise? I use both vises and large plate futures and it sure would be nice to get the 40" I paid for in use. Pretty sad to see that unused space on the right every day... just sitting there... costing me money and producing no parts...