584,837 active members*
5,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Getting started...really need some help!!!

I have recently acquired a Stepperworld FET-4 board and motors and I am having troubles getting started. I have wired the board, power supply and motors. I ran the basic step/ direction program supplied and all went fine. the motors run and change direction, etc.
    The problem comes when I try to run the Mach3 software. I ran the configuration batch file that was supplied to set it up but no joy. When I try to jog the motors nothing happens unless I alternate between + and -. Then the motor on that axis will click in a clockwise direction. The same happens when I run a sample G-code file. When the axis changes direction, the motor will click but nothing else.

I am guessing I am missing some setting but it eludes me at the moment.

I am a machinist by trade. I run 2 Cincinatti VMCs at work every day and I can run a Haas in my sleep so I am not new to cnc, Just new to hobby controllers.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Hi
    I have exactly the same problem,
    did you find an answer
    thanks
    james

Figured it out

The problem, as I thought was pretty simple. in the config section under motor outputs, all the way on the right side there are settings for step and direction port. They were all "0". I changed them to 1 (my parallel port is port 1) and it started working just fine. Now I am in the process of actualy building the machine. hopefully I will be able to post some pics soon of my progress.
    Hope that helps