585,744 active members*
4,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas VF3-SSYT 40 taper rigid enough for mostly stainless steel machining?

Haas VF3-SSYT 40 taper rigid enough for mostly stainless steel machining?

Hello.

We come from a mostly older manual Bridgeport shop with the exception of a CNC lathe. We want to get into CNC milling. We had a Haas sales rep out last week and he quoted out a VF3-YT-50 (50 taper) mill. The numbers just aren't favorable for a new machine nor their demo unit. Dad firmly wanted to buy new but now realizes that the money just isn't their to do that. Over the past week I have found some used models, most of which are 40 taper.

The cost between 40 & 50 taper is pretty substantial. I need some honest opinions here form people that have experience with both. Dad shop works primarily with stainless steel for food and dairy industry. Pumps and valves. Would a 40 taper machine be adequate enough for almost all SS machining. I'm worried about the life and rigidity of the spindle. I think he'd be fine with running slower feed rates if it meant keeping the cost down on the machine.

The machine we're interested in is a 2011 VF3-SSYT. Will this stand up to the job or will the nearest Haas technician be making frequent trips to repair it?

Really appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Re: Haas VF3-SSYT 40 taper rigid enough for mostly stainless steel machining?

That is a good question and I think the answer is a qualified yes; although you might get people who say no.

The qualification is that with modern tooling and CAM hard to machine materials can be tackled with lighter weight machines by using high speed machining techniques that use rapid feeds, chip thinning by using trochoidal tool paths and coated tools and air blast cooling. It is a whole different ball game to the manual approach of slow speeds, slow feeds and honking great depth of cut to get under the work hardened surface (although on a Bridgeport the 'honking great' may not apply; I am thinking of big Cincinnatis I used to run decades ago).

But you need someone who knows the programming techniques and tooling requirements; someone who has actually run machines in a manufacturing environment. Machine sales people do not always meet this criterion.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Would not get an SS if you are mainly doing stainless.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Id look at a kitamura with box ways for all stainless myself. Haas are pretty light machines.

Thanks guys. Looking at all options right now. Sounds like the SS model is not the right machine for the job here. Sorry if come across as a dummy. I'm only a hobbyist with a CNC router but do use BobCAD for the last 2 years so I do understand the front end part. He runs a small machine shop with some manual mills, an older Mitsubishi V500 somewhat of a CNC mill and has a Daewoo Lynx 210L CNC lathe. He engaged with me to help out. He decided to go the used route. I'm thinking 2007-2009 years is probably more in line with his budget @ around $75k. Really was hoping to do the stainless work with a Cat 40 mill and save the extra money for a rotary axis for when he is comfortable running it for awhile. He mostly works with 308 & 316 stainless. We would be using my BobCAD for all the CAD/CAM & postprocessing. I wish someone would come out and say, yes I cut stainless all day long on a standard Cat 40 VF3, without problem.

Yes we cut stainless all last week on a standard bt 40 VF3, without problem. Three inch sandvik face mill taking .025 depth cuts for clean up, .75 carbide endmills for profiling taking .025 full 1.5 loc and the list could go on. I can't speak for a vf3-ssyt but if you work within the machines limits it will work fine.
    Just push the button,what's the worst that could happen.

It can cut anything.
    If you program it correctly.

I run hardened 1.2311 to 58RC on VF2 with no problem.

HSM toolpaths, good tooling and u are good to go.

Attachment 280828