584,833 active members*
5,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Estop pushed---green..... Estop pulled out---red fault light

Estop pushed---green..... Estop pulled out---red fault light

I am a super-newbie at CNC. I turned on the power of my G540 and the light was green and my estop was pushed in. When I turned the estop to pop it out, the red fault light comes on. I push it back in, it turns green again. I have no steppers connected, the printer cable is plugged in, and Mach3 is open. I don't have pins 10 and 12 jumped because I was told that if your estop is hooked up you don't do that. I'm not very knowledgeable of wiring so if someone has any insight to this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Adam

Re: Estop pushed---green..... Estop pulled out---red fault light

Sounds like a wrong contact on the E-stop, N.O. instead of N.C.?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Yep...

O.K. So do I have both estop leads hooked to the same pole? Please forgive my ignorance. I'm more of a mechanical guy than electrical. I not wired that way........Pun intended.

Adam

In some cases the E-stop P.B. has a normally closed AND a normally open contact, if yours has this ensure you use the N.C. for the e-stop.
    Otherwise if just a single switch section, it could be N.O. fitted instead of NC.
    Al.

Albert E.

as per the G540 pic for wiring pin 10 to estop other wire back to common or -
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    In some cases the E-stop P.B. has a normally closed AND a normally open contact, if yours has this ensure you use the N.C. for the e-stop.
    Otherwise if just a single switch section, it could be N.O. fitted instead of NC.
    Al.
    Unfortunately, none of the contacts on the button are labeled. It's one of those el cheapo Chinese made estops that has one green and one orange side. I have a name brand one coming in the mail soon.

Adam

that don't mater if it don't work one way turn it around it should have only 2 or 3 pins signal, common and or a power supply if it has a light in it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If it is the Telemecanique type knock off and fitted with dual contacts, then the green contact is the N.O. and red (orange) is the N.C. side.
    e.g. ebay 161687042366
    Al.

Albert E.

I'm still having trouble with this. I've got pins 10 and 12 wired to the estop (NC side) another wire going from pin 12 to common, and a wire going from pin 11 to V+. It is still going fault when I push the estop in. And that is with my new Allen-Bradley #800E-3D0 estop. I'm at a loss. I do appreciate everyone's help though.

Adam

so you have a wire running from pin 10 to estop and a wire running from estop to pin 12 (common) and pin 12 is common for everything and yes pin 11 goes to v+ that`s all correct.

does the machine run when estop not pushed in

now do you have the charge pump connected to any thing, if not is it turned off.

if its connected it should be on and set in M3 if not turn it off.

what do you have the estop set to in M3 green tick ( active low) or red tick (active high)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    so you have a wire running from pin 10 to estop and a wire running from estop to pin 12 (common) and pin 12 is common for everything and yes pin 11 goes to v+ that`s all correct.

does the machine run when estop not pushed in

now do you have the charge pump connected to any thing, if not is it turned off.

if its connected it should be on and set in M3 if not turn it off.

what do you have the estop set to in M3 green tick ( active low) or red tick (active high)
    At this point, I don't have any motors hooked up. I get the fault when I push the estop in. I haven't set anythinmg in Mach3 yet. But I did install the G540 .xml file into the directory. I spoke to Mariss @ Gecko about a week ago and he walked me through the wire colors on my steppers, and he told me to leave my charge pump (I've read a little on charge pumps but I'm still not sure what that does) off for now while I'm testing. I haven't set my parallel to EPP yet in the BIOS. Could it be that? Thanks for that but I haven't made it to active highs and lows yet. That's still Greek to me.I'm still really starting from scratch here. I should have just bought my 540 all assembled and it would have been one less headache. Thanks again.

Adam

you should get a fault when you push it in as you would push it in to use ESTOP. if it green when out and red when in its working set up M3 you may not need to set EPP in Bios.

when you start M3 enable port one the default address should be correct (0x378) then set estop pin as port 1, pin 10 tick enable go out of ports and pins hit the estop button if it goes back into estop mode go back to ports and pins and tick active low.

see the two pick attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a.jpg   b.jpg  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ok. So I guess everything with the estop is ok now. Thank you all for all your replies and info. Do I turn my charge pump on whenever I get everything working ok? I just don't know what that is for.

Adam

I always use charge pumps/watchdog timers in the Hardware E-stop string, it is for either detecting programming loaded and running or in the event of a PC failure.
    Al.

Albert E.