585,735 active members*
4,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 11 12345

Re: NEW MILL TURN ARRIVED

Any idea if this is the mid-late September container batch ?

Looks like a nice setup- ball screws and X, Y carriage all from the same manifold. I E-mailed Shopmaster and they said its on the next container due in a few weeks. Some other upgrades in the same batch as well.

That's one way to make the delays feel more like a bonus :banana:
    Just got a confirmation that the oiler upgrade will be included on my order as well. What other upgrades did they mention to you ?

JT had given me that info on the QT and didn't expect me to post it- Sorry JT-

The oiler system will be for the X and Y carriages and the X and Y ball screws. The Z axis runs on linear rails and those plus the 2 ball screws are easily accessible for manual oiling.

Shopmaster/Shoptask has always been good at listening to customer ideas and adding them to the machines whenever practical. You might find some more pleasant surprises when your machine arrives.

The status of new machines is 'in testing' and shipment from China is being arranged. I'd estimate at least a month.

The shipment/tracking info has the container-load arriving in LA Oct. 15th. I'm guessing another couple weeks to get them off-loaded, turned around, and re-shipped out after that.
    I'd love to see some more videos & insights of others 2015 Shopmasters while we wait.

I'm looking for detailed information on the height of the 2015 Shopmaster mill-turn machine from someone who has one. The website says 82" + 1" for leg levelers. From the photos, it appears that the mill's spindle motor/housing is several inches higher than the bridge. I'm trying to find out if just the spindle motor/housing is (up to) 82/83 inches high and the dimensions of the housing along with the height of the bridge.

The reason is that I'm considering placing it in a basement where the distance from the floor to a suspended ceiling is 80.5" and floor to bottom of joists is 83.25". I'm trying to determine whether I'd need to take out a whole or part of a 2X4' tile or do something more. If need be, I could also use an alternative to the included bench that's a few inches shorter.

While I expect that many could speculate on the height, it would be most helpful if someone with the machine could share some insight.

Thanks

The highest part is the top of the spindle motor. With the Z up as high as it will go, I measured 81.7" from the ground to motor top. That was with the base on the castors, so when leveled on the feet call it 82".
    You options would be to 1) not use the full Z axis 2) make a cutout for the spindle motor (about 10x10") 3) take off the castors and drop the base down an inch or two. The feet are fairly tall.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks dstevens for the height info. Removing a ceiling tile should work as a temporary/indefinite solution for the height clearance. As it happens, I also have a narrow doorway to get through. I now plan to uncrate and separate the machine/bench and likely mount the machine on some type of suitable pallet to move. I'll have an opportunity to measure everything before moving it into the area to setup.

You should be fine, the highest fixed part of the machine is 71"- that is the top cover. The mill motor will go up another 12" at its max height, so you could position the machine so the motor is between 2 joists. You also need about 6" clearance above the top cover to lift it up and off for servicing the upper belt,so your 80.5" will be plenty. Looks like you will get by with just lifting 1 tile up and inch or so.

Motor speeds

What motor speeds are people using? X & Y rapid seemed ok at anything up to 75 in/s with acceleration 0.5, so I set mine to 50 in/s acceleration 0.5. Z was ok at 25 in/s but there is a big difference going up or down, and acceleration needs to be lower, so I'm using 20 in/s and 0.1.
    The spindle will not run below about 500 rpm, triggering an over current error on the VFD. From 500-3000 rpm (highest I went) the current seems normal (4-6 amps). What is the maximum spindle speed? At 3000 rpm there's a lot of pulley noise so I have not gone higher.

Re: Motor speeds

The overcurrent error usually is the result of codes P0-009 and P0-010 being set too low. Those are the acceleration and deceleration times for your spindles and anything less than 1.5 seconds, the motors simply can't get up to speed that fast. Sort of like trying to start out in 4th gear.

Thanks. It was the P0-013, P0-014 and P0-015 settings. The pulley noise was a combination of the spindle pulley being a little loose and the belt being a little loose. Now it runs 150 - 5000 rpm just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dstevens View Post
    What motor speeds are people using? X & Y rapid seemed ok at anything up to 75 in/s with acceleration 0.5, so I set mine to 50 in/s acceleration 0.5. Z was ok at 25 in/s but there is a big difference going up or down, and acceleration needs to be lower, so I'm using 20 in/s and 0.1.
    Thanks for that. My DRO was defective, so I'm waiting on a fix/replacement before I start pushing the movement speeds for fear of missing steps. I'm also wondering exactly what sort of oil people are using in the one-shot oiler ? It looks like it's plumbed to the ball-screws, so I'm not sure that 'way oil' is the right stuff to be pumping through it. The ball screws on other equipment I have usually require a heavier grease.

I asked JT about oil and he recommended marvel mystery oil.

Any idea how to tram the table and spindle? Mine has a slight lip when milling parallel face cuts, which would be the spindle to table angle.

How do you know your tail stock height was dead on? The proper way to check that is to put a center in the chuck and another in the tail stock and then move them together so the points touch one another and then clamp the tail stock down to see if it stays put. Since the table is so big on these machines you can't get the tail stock any where close to the chuck even when it's fully extended! I'd try the taper extender to get the centers closer but Shopmaster failed to include it with my machine even though it was supposed to be included with my new machine. Anyone reading these threads without a Shopmaster machine, I'd suggest you buy something else.
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by dstevens View Post
    I was just setting up my machine parameters in HSMWorks and I was going to use your rapid speeds in fields set to specify the maximum feedrates when I noticed a big difference in units; are you sure that wasn't ~75in/min on the feed rather than in/s ?

What sort of maximum feed rates is everyone else using?

Also, just got my repaired DRO back and hooked up. Can anyone tell me if the Y-values should be increasing or decreasing when moving the table towards the front of the machine.

Page 3 of 11 12345