585,975 active members*
4,714 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > New to Me. Drilling Carbon Fiber Tubing

Question New to Me. Drilling Carbon Fiber Tubing

I have worked with some exotic materials and composites in the past, but I don't want to just cowboy up on this carbon fiber job. I essentially have to drill a number of "aesthetically pleasing" 3/8" holes in 0.060" wall thickness 1.35" OD Carbon fiber tubing. The placement is important, but the ovality tolerance is as wide as a barn door. I essentially don't want to have a bunch of loose fibers, delamination and/or crush areas in this part so I am welcome to any recommendations that any of you may have as far as:

1.) Approach- Pilot, Drill, Ream vs. spot and helical with a carbide end mill.
    2.) Tooling- I'm assuming carbide drills/end-mills are "where it's at"? What geometry works best? Coatings?
    3.) Speeds and feeds- obviously related to the approach from number 1 above, but again I have never worked with this type of composite tubing before.
    4.) To cool or not to cool? I have flood and FogBuster available.
    5.) Fixturing? I was thinking that my vise V-jaw would work fine, but are there any boogeymen that I need to be aware of there?
    6.) Machine? I can use the 1100, 770 or some "gooder" manual drill presses to get this job done.

FYI- Total volume is 20 tubes with 2 holes precisely placed in each. Note that the holes don't go through both sides of the tube...it is an interesting design.

I can manage the dust issues and health and safety stuff so I am not concerned about that. Thanks, in advance, for your thoughtful suggestions!

Doug P.

Re: New to Me. Drilling Carbon Fiber Tubing

I mill thin wall acrylic tubing and find a backing material on inside of tube helps operations come out cleaner. I make them from wood , plastic or aluminum and size anywhere from just the work area to entire length of tube depending on need for extra support and fixtures or just a slip fit backer in one area. If your real industrious a 2 piece expanding plug can made that grips the inside of the tube and backs the material for drilling or other ops.
    Some ideas anyway.

we did some carbon fiber parts at work a few weeks ago, ended up using a rougher instead of a cutter, when we looked up on what cutters to use people seemed to be using diamond engraving bits. but we didn't have time to get one in. we ran a 10mm dia cutter at 7000rpmsbut cant recall surface speed (not on a tormach) but we only did side cuts not plunge or holes... hope this helps.

just looked up the cutters they were called "Corn Cutters"

Thanks you guys! The info definitely helps. I was thinking of backing like MD suggested, then pilot drilling with a spot drill and finally using a 1/4" 3 flute cobalt rougher to helical out to the final diameter. From what I read the diamond tools do give you excellent tool life in carbon fiber, but for this job I don't believe that I would need to go to that extreme. JimsMachining do you remember if you had any significant stringers, or were the cuts pretty clean? Thanks again gentlemen!

For thin material, you might want to try straight flute drill bits, so you do not pull on the fibres.