585,605 active members*
3,194 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New to lasers

I am beginning the planning stage of a DIY CNC laser build. The sole use for this machine will be to cut slots in .050" or thinner paper tubing.

I need help as to what type of laser and power do I need? I'd prefer to use a diode if that will do the job effectively, and if that will work, what diode to buy regarding power and wavelength? And recommended sources to purchase the parts, preferably all from one source.

So can a diode do this effectively?

Re: New to lasers

Here is one I have considered.

Industrial 808nm 2000mW Infrared Focusable Laser Diode Module Cutter w TTL | eBay

I want something I can just plug in to a power supply and mount to my router.
    I think most cutting lasers are infrared? Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    Here is one I have considered.

Industrial 808nm 2000mW Infrared Focusable Laser Diode Module Cutter w TTL | eBay

I want something I can just plug in to a power supply and mount to my router.
    I think most cutting lasers are infrared? Maybe?
    That does look like it might do the job. I'm concerned about the cutting speed though. I've seen these diode lasers needing multiple passes to cut through material. The kraft paper tubing we use is .050" thick cardboard and if it takes more than 10 minutes to cut a few slots, it is not a viable option. I just don't want to buy a bunch of stuff to find out it won't work the way I planned because of my inexperience.

We've been milling the pockets, but I don't like the fuzz it leaves. Maybe I could mill the pockets and then burn the fuzz off with the laser. That'd be pretty trick.

I'm not totally against going with a tube laser. Does anyone sell plans for the tube style laser cutters? I'm not interested in buying a kit, but I would purchase a planset if for nothing else to learn how they go together regarding mirrors and optics, cooling etc. Or any good resource that I can use to learn this stuff without wading through a million different posts here.

I think the 2 watt would work fine, but you may need to make a nozzle for it so you could use air assist.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    I think the 2 watt would work fine, but you may need to make a nozzle for it so you could use air assist.
    Thanks for the input! Machining a nozzle and providing compressed air would be no problem.