584,871 active members*
5,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Original Bridgeport Branded R8 Collets

So this is mostly a philosophical question - one that my wife sadly just isn't interested in discussing. Am I alone thinking older, Bridgeport branded R8 collets (especially the ones with the stamped vs etched logos) were somehow better made than the average Lyndex, Royal etc., available today?? For some reason I have this weird obsession of cobbling together an entire set of these in spite of the fact that 99% of the time I only use 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" sizes. So far I have about 15-20 with including duplicates of common aforementioned sizes. Most are the solid one piece construction type and a few have the staked threaded plug. In addition have a few odd ball Hardinge ones as well. They seem similar to the BP's and possibly more readily available however I don't feel like starting another quest! Believe me I understand that the Royal or Lyndex sets made today are perfectly good probably better than the antiques I seek.
    Honestly I think it's more of a nostalgia thing - wanting objects made in an era of craftsmanship vs today's emphasis on speed, efficiency and low cost to mfg. Consequently, I am always on the look out for these collets in good shape but they rarely pop up.

Thoughts? Am I the only one?

Re: Original Bridgeport Branded R8 Collets

Hardinge makes the best collets, and hardinge and bridgeport are the same company now. Old collets do wear, spring and get the keyway chewed up, but if you can find good ones more power to you.