584,846 active members*
3,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3 Axis CNC Mill Software for PC - Checking Axis Movement

I purchased a cnc mill package some 10 years ago and just now setting it up. (finally retired)
    It came with Mach2 software. Didn't know it would be "DEMO" version. This may be the reason
    I can't test the machine xyz movements, or for that matter, anything else.

Is there any software I can try to obtain my goal ? Try and Buy or Freeware or ? My experience,
    years ago, 3 axis mills with FANUC controls.

I think the Mach2 interface screens are much too crammed. Is there software with clean, basic
    control out there ?

Would a "Tablet PC" (touch screen and Windows) be a better choice for control ?

Thanks for your time.

Re: 3 Axis CNC Mill Software for PC - Checking Axis Movement

That software is fairly obsolete by now. You should download the latest "lockdown" version of Mach3 from Newfangled Solutions » CNC Software Home of Mach3 . The demo version will still run 500 lines for free, so you can test out your system before throwing more money at it. You might like the newer screen-sets better too.

And no, a tablet isn't likely to work at all. Get an old (but not 10 years old) desktop computer running something from XP to Windows 7, 32-bit version, that has a parallel port capable of operating in EPP mode.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: 3 Axis CNC Mill Software for PC - Checking Axis Movement

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    That software is fairly obsolete by now. You should download the latest "lockdown" version of Mach3 from Newfangled Solutions » CNC Software Home of Mach3 . The demo version will still run 500 lines for free, so you can test out your system before throwing more money at it. You might like the newer screen-sets better too.

And no, a tablet isn't likely to work at all. Get an old (but not 10 years old) desktop computer running something from XP to Windows 7, 32-bit version, that has a parallel port capable of operating in EPP mode.

Thank you for your insight and advice. I have several pc towers that fit your description.
    Rick