585,717 active members*
4,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki Mills > How to load G-code to Mori-Seki VM40 with a Fanuc O-M controller via Serial Port?

How to load G-code to Mori-Seki VM40 with a Fanuc O-M controller via Serial Port?

We have recently aquired our first VMC a 1989 Mori-seki VM40B VMC with an upgraded Fanuc O-M controller.
    We would like to be able to upload g-code created in Mecsoft's Visual Mill to the machine via the Serial Port.
    Can anyone tell us how this is done and what software/setup is needed?

Thanks in advance.

Re: How to load G-code to Mori-Seki VM40 with a Fanuc O-M controller via Serial Port

Where to begin...

Nice machine! RS232 pin outs, cables (cheap enough), null modem's (cheap enough), baud rates, data bits, stop bits, handshaking, parity, Xon/off.
    They must match, both the computer serial and the machine setup, your about to have some fun!
    DB9, DB25 pin outs?

Readily available any search engine.
    enjoy

Re: How to load G-code to Mori-Seki VM40 with a Fanuc O-M controller via Serial Port

Yep, just a 9 to 25 null modem cable.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rs23...inout+db9+db25

sorry i can't be more help, once you understand, its not so bad.

I have piles of this crap! Low speed switches, cables, null modems, I'm tripping over it!

much luck

I am kicking 5 gallon home depot buckets full of related things (can't say sh|t) just because of this thread, lol.

PUNT!

Than you for the reply's every body. In the end we bought a little devise known as Shoplink. It uploads nicely. Still a little messy but much better than a laptop next to the machine. It just sucks that you cannot seem to drip feed a large program as we have no tape setting.

Buchanan

I've worked on moris since the early 90s and have never seen one without tape mode.

You have an 88 with Fanuc 0? Details about the upgrade?

blkaplan. Its an 89 modle with a Fanuc 0 , the previous owner did the upgrade here in Australia. it cost him a bit i think but it only ha 16Kb memory so very few cam generated g codes will be small enough so i still have to loop programs as much as possable.
    What upgrade are you refering to?

Quote Originally Posted by Buchananesq View Post
    blkaplan. Its an 89 modle with a Fanuc 0 , the previous owner did the upgrade here in Australia. it cost him a bit i think but it only ha 16Kb memory so very few cam generated g codes will be small enough so i still have to loop programs as much as possable.
    What upgrade are you refering to?
    I have an 89 mv-40 as well but it has Fanuc 10M. So the upgrade is going from 10M to O-M or did yours come with 0-M from the factory? Always wondered how my mine would machine with a newer control, perhaps a bit better with 3d milling ops.

Yes it was a 10m I do not know wihch company did the upgrade. It can handle 3D milling but the file size is usually way more than16 Kb. I need about 2 MB of memory or a tape feed to make it really usefull. otherwise it is a beauty of a machine for its age.

Om is not much of an upgrade from a 10m. Mori did make the MV40 from the 10 all the way up to 21i in one form or another. Very long production run on those.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Om is not much of an upgrade from a 10m. Mori did make the MV40 from the 10 all the way up to 21i in one form or another. Very long production run on those.
    I would imagine its probably not feasible or worth the cost of trying to upgrade a 10M based machine to something much newer... Is that right?

Not really on those. I sure wouldn't go from Fanuc to the mach 3 toy, and to go to a new 31i would cost more than the machines worth.