585,967 active members*
4,467 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Cheapiest solution for CNC aluminum spindle...

Smile Cheapiest solution for CNC aluminum spindle...

Hi, I'm new on this forum, I'm searching a spindle to mill aluminum on my homemade CNC (I'm designing it, actually..).
    My budget is very very restricted (50€), so what could I use?
    I saw on Ebay some 1200W wood router for 40€, but I think that would be difficult to mount something like this on a small CNC..
    Maybe could I use some kind of drill?

Thanks for your help and suggestions, Matteo.

Re: Cheapiest solution for CNC aluminum spindle...

One thing to keep in mind about drills, they are not designed to take a side load on the bearings in most cases.

I have had luck with a small aminate trimmer it cuts AL ok but you need to make sure it is clamped well and your spped and feed are not too high. The Dewalt laminare trimmer has a hole on one side that holds the adjustable foot. This makes for a nice mounting location for the z axis. A clamp holds the upper potion tight against the z.

Also get a speed controler to allow to vary the speed on the trimmer, or buy one with it built in. You will want to slow it down as it is really too fast for most materials without a really high feed rate. The speed and a slow feed rate builds a lot of heat in the tool as there is not enough chip load to help pull the heat away.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rsteiner View Post
    One thing to keep in mind about drills, they are not designed to take a side load on the bearings in most cases.

I have had luck with a small aminate trimmer it cuts AL ok but you need to make sure it is clamped well and your spped and feed are not too high. The Dewalt laminare trimmer has a hole on one side that holds the adjustable foot. This makes for a nice mounting location for the z axis. A clamp holds the upper potion tight against the z.

Also get a speed controler to allow to vary the speed on the trimmer, or buy one with it built in. You will want to slow it down as it is really too fast for most materials without a really high feed rate. The speed and a slow feed rate builds a lot of heat in the tool as there is not enough chip load to help pull the heat away.

Randy
    Thanks for the suggestion Randy!

If you look at information for the Shapeoko CNC, they use a lot of different handheld routers as spindles. Many cut aluminum with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nickies08 View Post
    If you look at information for the Shapeoko CNC, they use a lot of different handheld routers as spindles. Many cut aluminum with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice!!! Thank you!