585,977 active members*
3,715 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 10m transfer problem

Hi all....this is my first post here and I hope someone can help me out.

I am trying to transfer a program via Cimco to my fanuc 10m series A control. I never really had a problem like this before. I was using a USB to DB9 adapter for the longest time then last week it stopped working. The cable I am using has a DB25 to DB9 (I have made several versions of this cable that have been recommend for Fanuc 10 controls to rectify this problem....none have helped) I can download a program from my control to the pc...no problems...but not the other way. I also tried to lower the baudrate on my control to 2400 from 9600 but that hasn't worked either. I called a guy from Fanuc and he came with his laptop and his cable and it worked! He could transfer to my control! (He was using Procomm) (I tried his cable on my PC but it didn't work) He said my problem was probably my USB to DB9. So I purchased a PCI card with DB9 inputs from Startech....didnt help. I turned off the FIFFO setting and tried all combinations of baud, stop bits, parity, handshaking etc.......nothing.....help please.

Re: Fanuc 10m transfer problem

Hello!
    We also use the same cables.
    Check the cable by this scheme Fanuc RS232 Cable details, RS232 Settings Fanuc o and 6 Controls

Hi Redray.....I have tried that cable configuration.....didn't help.

Peachpounder,

Correct me if I'm wrong... as I read it your machine was working one day then the next day it wasn't? Assuming the previous to be the case.... Cabling - is the cable moved often or connected/disconnected frequently? If so then it could be an open wire in the cable or possibly a solder connection on either end. Unfortunate that you didn't have the Fanuc guy test your cable while he was there. You mentioned that you turned off the fifo setting in windows.... are the windows setting the ones your are changing? I'm not familiar with Cimco (I know the name) but other dnc software that I have used requires you to set up all the serial parameters in the software. Aka the DNC program does not use the windows parameter at all (fifo being the exception as this is a lower level than the baud rate, # of stop bits, parity and handshaking). I realize that you probably don't want to replace your Cimco software, but you might try loading a different dnc program (I use DNC4U with good success and they offer a 60 day no limitations trial) to verify that isn't the program.

Cj

Hi! To check the cable (USB to DB9) use the Null modem cable(https://www.google.com/search?q=null+modem+db9), connect them to your new card (PCI card with DB9) and an adapter (USB to DB9), then run the CIMCO and initiate a transfer, for example, from a virtual adapter port (USB to DB9) to the port card (PCI card with DB9), and in the opposite direction.
    Also in the CIMCO, I use parameters like as the attached picture.

The RS232 on Fanuc does not use hardware handshake but software handshake, (XON/XOFF) but the controller end needs to see hardware enabled and this is the pins 4&5 6-8&20 on a 25pin D.
    I have always used the 3 wire cable with the 4-5 and 6-8-20 jumpered out.
    I can send you the Fanuc 10 RS232 manual if you PM me an email add.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

So I just tried a Data Shuffle from Memex and it still did not transfer anything to my Fanuc 10.....it did however work on my Fanuc OT....so it must be the control that is the problem?

If the PC port, it could be the RS232 IC failed, if lucky you may have a second port, msg sent.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al you were right. I've narrowed it down to the IC chips....and I also have a port on my main board which is currently occupied by the tape reader.

I have ordered the IC chips from Digikey and I will solder a Honda -> DB25 now........so I have the option of 2 inputs.....just in case.

Thank you very much for your time and help!