584,808 active members*
5,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Hurco bmc30 help

just purchased a 1990 bmc30 .. Thought I would see if it would power up . In the control cabinet the P2 plug (ribbon cable) is disconnected (goes into the wiring harness to the control panel) the manual indicates that it plugs into the cpu board but there is no receptacle on the cpu board that matches up to the P2 plug ,, any help appreciated.

Re: Hurco bmc30 help

there is a socket on the cpu board labeled J2, it has a cover with 4 screws over it and the screws were partially removed. the socket under the cover is not what is needed to connect the J2 ribbon cable to so I suspect that I am missing something. I would really like to see if it's possible to get it running with the hurco controls before even considering a retro fit.as it stands right now all i have when powering it on is a blinking cursor on the left screen.

Can you post a picture of the rack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have all the cards out of the rack at the moment but I took a shot of the cpu board and the motion control card.
    Attachment 279652Attachment 279654Attachment 279656Attachment 279658Attachment 279660Attachment 279662

I don't know where I came up with the J2 but it's P2 for the cable and for the connector on the cpu board they are just not compatible as they are. so if this is where the P2 ribbon cable connects to there must be some type of adapter or board missing.

I am heading to the shop. I will take a picture of my boards and connectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you post a pic of the plug?
    What isn't working about the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    Can you post a pic of the plug?
    What isn't working about the machine?
    When I turn the machine on all i get is a cursor on the left screen , never see boot screen or anything else

History: I bought the machine already disconnected with no information of whether it ran or not, basically for junk price. I noticed they had the cover off the spindle motor and the fan off of it and I could see aluminum chips down in the motor, so I was hoping that was the problem with it and maybe everything else still worked.
    I'm powering it with a rotary phase converter but i followed the two legs from the computer power supply and use the 2 real legs of my 3 phase to power it. I do have the power going to the spindle motor disconnected at the moment not wanting to burn anything up or at least not any worse till I could see if i could get the computer up and maybe even get the 3 axis to move.
    I haven't seen a receptacle on any of the boards or anywhere else for that matter that this P2 plug will fit. It was just disconnected and hanging when I got the machine

messed with the machine some more today, checked all my voltages. the machine has a transformer on the outside of the cabinet . i am connected to the 220 input legs and the 208 output legs go to the machine. at the panel i'm getting 203 between the 2 real legs and 192 on the generated leg.I have 203 volts to the main power supply and from it i have 125 volts to the computer power supply. there is a green led on the cpu board that is lit when power is on. lot of fans running so i really can't hear if the hard drive is doing anything or not. I tried one of the floppies that came with it and i get nothing.would really appreciate some advice or help

That connector is now unused as your machine has been upgraded to Max32. It used to plug onto the edge of the CPU. Make sure the other end isn't plugged into the CRT controller in the console.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    That connector is now unused as your machine has been upgraded to Max32. It used to plug onto the edge of the CPU. Make sure the other end isn't plugged into the CRT controller in the console.
    I will check. What would be my next step in finding out why i have no boot screen ? and why no right monitor? and no lights at all come on , on the control console , only the cursor on the left screen

checked cable in panel it is also disconnected from the crt controller as you said. Finally got something out of it today , after several attempts it started loading from the 1st floppy when it calls for 2nd floppy after changing them all stops and i get a "disk sub system failed to initialize". 3 attempts and same thing.. Help please. checked voltage at the power supply and shows 5.1 volts but at console only have 4.3 volts 12 volts is good as is 24. seen some other posts saying voltage needs to be 5 at console but concerned that voltage will be too high elsewhere. should I turn it up?

Turn the power on and then press and hold the 'clear' key on the console. The bios settings should be shown. See what the hard drive parameters are.

holding the clear key down doesn't make any difference , it doesn't do anything but the flashing cursor on the left screen.

I took the hard drive out of the machine and stuck it in my computer (win xp) it's recognized in the bios but not by win xp. so tried linux and i can see the drive in linux but it shows no partitions at all.was going to format with gparted but it didn't have a fat 12 option. back to win xp and downloaded a partition tool (partition guru )it will do fat 12, it shows up there and still shows no partitions just 1.6 gigs unallocated. i've got an old win 98 box but got to dig it out and see if even still runs.
    my best guess is they wiped the hard drive
    will win 98 do what i need ?
    When i make these 2 partitions do they need to be formatted in fat12?
    If i just format the drive , label the partitions and put it back in the machine can i load the files back on the hard drive with the machine?
    what is the hurco utility disk that i have seen mentioned in other posts?
    I have 4 disks total 1,2 and 3 max 32 dsp ver. 1.54 and 1 max 32 ver. 1.31 machine configuration.
    oh and win xp couldn't read the floppies either , it said no volume ID or something to that effect.
    I guess it's easy enough to figure out I'm completely lost here.
    I thank everyone for all the help so far.

got the win 98 box up and running ,, fdisk the hurco drive and sure enough , no partitions, so I'll try to follow the other posts and see how far i get

RE: what is the hurco utility disk that i have seen mentioned in other posts?

Here are all the files that are on the Hurco FS utility disk. https://goo.gl/l1Uots
    You need to copy those to a bootable dos6.22 floppy you can make from an image utility free at bootdisk.com. But it has some extra DOS files you will need to remove first or the Hurco utilities won't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardEisenman View Post
    RE: what is the hurco utility disk that i have seen mentioned in other posts?

Here are all the files that are on the Hurco FS utility disk. https://goo.gl/l1Uots
    You need to copy those to a bootable dos6.22 floppy you can make from an image utility free at bootdisk.com. But it has some extra DOS files you will need to remove first or the Hurco utilities won't fit.
    Thank you so very much , this might be a deal changer , i might be up for another 4 days now ..
    and I guess i need to find a box that I can set the CHS in the bios?, the old box I'm using auto detected the hard drive and I seen no options in the bios to set hard drive Params ,
    ,Does setting the bios params make the hard drive follow it when fdisk and formatted?? I ask this because the linux guys recommend not using linux fdisk if you are configuring the drive for DOS
    I have now read through fdisk files extensively ( must be close to every page I could find on the net that came up in an fdisk google search)and there seems to be a way to set CHS on the hard drive with fdisk , but i haven't figured it out yet
    One more question , how do i boot the computer from a floppy then get the hurco floppies in there , do i need 2 floppy drives installed???

> re: cwalker1960 .... Does setting the bios params make the hard drive follow it when fdisk and formatted?? ....

I THINK YOU ARE BATTLING A FEW BASIC MISCONCEPTIONS HERE.

The CHS setting needs to be done in the HURCO motherboard BIOS (or on any particular motherboard that you are attaching the hard drive to). The CHS has no effect on the hard drive; there is nothing in the hard drive's controller board that can be 'set'. Basically the CHS setting is telling the motherboard how to look at the hard drive.

> One more question , how do i boot the computer from a floppy then get the hurco floppies in there , do i need 2 floppy drives installed??

To run DOS you only need 1 floppy drive. After booting up you can eject the DOS boot disk and insert another disk as needed. You will be prompted to reinsert the DOS boot disk as needed.

A few other things that may or may not apply in your case: Typically there is a floppy drive in the side of the console / display unit out in front of the machine. But sometimes that doesn't work. I often connect a floppy drive directly to the motherboard in back (which requires disconnecting the floppy cable from interface board that goes out to the front of the machine). You will need a working VGA display (normally the display console out front works OK) and a PC keyboard (there is an XT keyboard connector on the side of the display console, but if you are having problems with that, you can connect a PC keyboard directly to the Hurco motherboard). All of this requires some attention to detail (like being sure to carefully note which way the red stripe on the disk controller cables are oriented and being sure to plug in the cables correctly).

By the way, I have sometimes installed the HURCO software to a hard drive connected to a stand-alone motherboard separate from the machine. This can work out OK. After install, you won't be able to boot beyond a 'license not found' message if you don't have the licensekey software dongle in the parallel port. That licensekey is only going to allow you to run certain Hurco OS versions, presumably the ones you have install disks for.

you want to boot up on DOS 6.22 and use the DIS FDISK that is on the DOS 6.22 disk
    > I ask this because the linux guys recommend not using linux fdisk if you are configuring the drive for DOS

Regarding how you partition with Fdisk specifically: it depends on the HURCO OS version you are installing. Here are some notes for versions 1.xx and 2.xx https://goo.gl/kCkKvk

Page 1 of 2 12