585,883 active members*
4,880 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Series II stepper/driver upgrades

Series II stepper/driver upgrades

for those that upgraded from series II to the new steppers/drivers, do you think its worth it?

I ask because I am about to set up my machine this weekend. I can try to get the steppers/drivers in and install them before i put the mill in place. I want to know if its worth the upgrade. I seens a few installation reviews online but I haven't really seen any before/after comparisons.

I'm currently trying to decide between ordering the tormach controller so I can get pathpilot or upgrade the steppers/drivers. Thanks

Re: Series II stepper/driver upgrades

Did it in 2011, as soon as they came out. No resonances, faster, smoother. Problem-free installation, just don't forget the Z axis brake! If the upgrade had cost around 2K (list price for the 3 steppers x about 300 apiece, plus 3 drivers at 150 per, plus board at 500), would not have done it. For 650 bucks, easy decision. Basically a new machine electrically except for the spindle drive/VFD. Check the forum, there are before/after reviews- generally positive.

But. Given that PP is about the same price, today I'd be on the fence whether to have the latest iron, or the latest controller. The 1100/2 is a solid machine as shipped, without the motion upgrade. My decision might be based on how many hours the machine had on it. Low hours, get Pathpilot. High hours, replace drives. My inclination is always to wait for software/controllers to have some in field testing before I switch. Against that is the Tormach rep for solid upgrades and support.

I think you'll be OK whichever route you choose. And if you go PP first, whenever an axis drive dies, you have an easy answer.