585,744 active members*
4,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas spindle time not correct. Reading way high.

Haas spindle time not correct. Reading way high.

Hello Haas folks,

We bought a used 2008 Haas VF3 from a reputable dealer. Taking delivery on it in early June. They always send a tech out to a pre-inspection on it prior to sale. They said something didn't seem right and the tech didn't know why either. The spindle time is showing over 57,000 hours!

Hours are:

Servo Time: 5,083 hours
    Motion Time: 8,089 hours
    Spindle Time: 57,342 hours

I would think that the spindle time would be somewhat relative to the other 2 numbers. There are roughly 8,700 hours in a year. That means that this spindle would have had to run steady non stop for 6.5 years.

Has anyone ever heard of the time not reading correct? He verified what he read.

Thanks.

Re: Haas spindle time not correct. Reading way high.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax91 View Post
    Hello Haas folks,

We bought a used 2008 Haas VF3 from a reputable dealer. Taking delivery on it in early June. They always send a tech out to a pre-inspection on it prior to sale. They said something didn't seem right and the tech didn't know why either. The spindle time is showing over 57,000 hours!

Hours are:

Servo Time: 5,083 hours
    Motion Time: 8,089 hours
    Spindle Time: 57,342 hours

I would think that the spindle time would be somewhat relative to the other 2 numbers. There are roughly 8,700 hours in a year. That means that this spindle would have had to run steady non stop for 6.5 years.

Has anyone ever heard of the time not reading correct? He verified what he read.

Thanks.
    On the bright side, it is definitely broken in!

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Haha funny. I'm gonna contact Haas Monday morning as see if they can shed some light. I've thought about this over and over again and it doesn't seem possible. I've look at a few for sale on the net to see how close the numbers were with each other.

servo: 9428
    motion: 1827
    spindle: 2277

servo: 2467
    motion: 910
    spindle: 869

servo: 3018
    motion: 1546
    spindle: 1567

servo: 9609
    motion: 8603
    spindle: 8381

Seriously though, I think that the hours can be set by a tech when putting new software on a machine. May have mis-entered the number. A spindle that is quiet and runs nice and cool is fine. Really hard to tell how many hours are really on them. Remember the spindle could have been changed.

Good luck with the new machine.

Remember too that servo hours will always be higher than spindle hours.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

The motion hours are also spurious; it is impossible to have motion hours larger than servo on hours because the servos cause the motion.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Hi Machineit & Geof,

Thanks for the responses. I double checked the Machine inspection report to make sure I stated correctly and I did. You're right though. Servo should be greater than Motion time. I looked around at various used machines that had pictures of the hour meters and the spindle times were relatively close to the motion times. Notice my post above. Perhaps He flipped Servo & Motion by accident on the report. If that's the case, maybe Spindle are around 5342 or 5742? I checked with him and he did read it as 57342.

I wrote Haas and they said they have no idea why it's like that and don't know anything without knowing the history. Not much help to me seeing how I DID give them the serial # of it.

Do you guys know a member on here that can look up a machine serial to check the history on it?

Thank you