585,970 active members*
4,303 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > how do i change the tool change arm parameter ???

how do i change the tool change arm parameter ???

we have a topper tmv-920 machine centre with a fanuc series o-m controller.recently we lost all the parameters and had to get a guy in to re-install them all. but since then the tool change arm resting point is about 3mm too low. as a result when the tool changes it doesnt push the tools all the way up in to there tool station holders. they end up falling out with vibration when running because they have not clicked up in place.i know the parameter spindle zero point is 0510 and the spindle tool change position parameter is 0737 and after altering the tool change arm height these will need to be altered to suit.you can see the tool change arm sits 3mm too low by the clean spot on its hydraulic arm. it usually rotates to 65 degrees then drops down rotates 180 degrees then goes back up. it worked perfectly before loosing its parameters and several parameters have had to be altered since as he has inputed them wrong. it would be great if anybody had a list of which parameters refer to witch part of machine ??or just how to fix this one

Re: how do i change the tool change arm parameter ???

if it helps the electrical box with position sensors above the arm say
    prs-7 arm stop
    prs-6 arm midole detect (i havnt spelt middle wrong its spelt like that on sensor)
    prs-5 arm zrn position

so i presume its prs-5 i need parameter for

The PRS5,6 &7 are position confirmation proximity switches and the ATC arm needs these to confirm tool release from the spindle and Z-axis interlock etc.

The ATC arm is not adjustable via parameter or software for that matter.

Suggest the following:

Clamp a tool-holder in the spindle.

Command G91G28Z0. or G91G30Z0. to position the Z-axis at the tool-change height for the arm.
    Orientate the spindle.
    Command waiting pot down.
    Manually turn the nut on the ATC arm motor (release the brake with the lever) and move the arm towards the spindle.
    See if the arm aligns with the groove in the tool-holder. This way you will be able to see if Parameter 737 or 510 is adjusted correctly.
    Return the ATC arm to the "normal stop" position manually and adjust the parameter accordingly.
    Wash rinse and repeat.....

Quote Originally Posted by hrh View Post
    The PRS5,6 &7 are position confirmation proximity switches and the ATC arm needs these to confirm tool release from the spindle and Z-axis interlock etc.

The ATC arm is not adjustable via parameter or software for that matter.

Suggest the following:

Clamp a tool-holder in the spindle.

Command G91G28Z0. or G91G30Z0. to position the Z-axis at the tool-change height for the arm.
    Orientate the spindle.
    Command waiting pot down.
    Manually turn the nut on the ATC arm motor (release the brake with the lever) and move the arm towards the spindle.
    See if the arm aligns with the groove in the tool-holder. This way you will be able to see if Parameter 737 or 510 is adjusted correctly.
    Return the ATC arm to the "normal stop" position manually and adjust the parameter accordingly.
    Wash rinse and repeat.....
    It aligns perfect with spindle as we adjusted parameters on 510 and 737 its just the atc doesnt push up far enough to click tool in to the pot not the spindle and it falls out. We can see a clean spot on atc hydraulic shaft showing it isnt going high enough to it home position and only happened after the parameters were lost.even if we lift spindle up out of way atc still sits low

Logically if the arm is pushing the tool properly into the waiting pot on the magazine but not sufficiently into the spindle, then I conclude that the spindle height is not correct.

Alternatively there is a timing issue with the draw-bar cylinder and the arm movement. You may have to adjust the "timing drum" (small cylinder with slots milled into the surface)

If parameter related, the PC parameters (which are machine tool specific) may need some tweeking. Adjusting a timer to move the arm after the clamping is confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by hrh View Post
    Logically if the arm is pushing the tool properly into the waiting pot on the magazine but not sufficiently into the spindle, then I conclude that the spindle height is not correct.

Alternatively there is a timing issue with the draw-bar cylinder and the arm movement. You may have to adjust the "timing drum" (small cylinder with slots milled into the surface)

If parameter related, the PC parameters (which are machine tool specific) may need some tweeking. Adjusting a timer to move the arm after the clamping is confirmed.

It changes tools perfectly but when atc arm returns to neautral position the tool being held in pot falls out because it hasnt been pushed up in to pot high enough . No matter the pisition of spindle nor which of th 24 tool pots is down. After measuring today i can see the atc sitts exactly 2mm tool low.
    I can adjust the spindle height to suit whereever the atc settles but atc needs to settle 2mm higher.