585,753 active members*
3,836 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Recomend a Laser for me

I've been using a full spectrum laser at my local makerspace for over a year now and really enjoy using it. I mostly use it to cut various cardboards and sometimes very thin basswood to make models. I've been thinking about getting into making kits to sell, but to do so I'd really need my own laser I could have running at home at the same time I design or do other things. Sitting in my makerspace for hours while the laser works surfing the internet isn't very productive.

I'm looking for an affordable but reliable laser that can cleanly cut cardboard. I don't really cut anything thicker than 1/8". I live in an apartment so a small desktop style would be best, something I could just vent out a window. I don't plan on cutting anything stinky like acrylic or rubber. The current laser I'm working with has a cutting area of about 13x9 which has been fine for me so far, so something around that size would be fine. I'm very used to the full spectrum interface (retina engrave) and would hope for a laser with control software at least as user-friendly.

Any recommendations would be welcome!

Re: Recomend a Laser for me

I just got a quote from Rayjet for their absolute cheapest option for me, $15,000. My budget is maybe 4-5k. I know there's people out there using more affordable entry-level lasers, I just need to know how to look at, who to avoid. I've heard nothing but bad things about full spectrum but so far they're the only ones selling in my price range that aren't direct-from-china buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by baronjutter View Post
    I just got a quote from Rayjet for their absolute cheapest option for me, $15,000. My budget is maybe 4-5k. I know there's people out there using more affordable entry-level lasers, I just need to know how to look at, who to avoid. I've heard nothing but bad things about full spectrum but so far they're the only ones selling in my price range that aren't direct-from-china buyer beware.
    Your budget is too low for an American made laser, but you already know that. You like the full spectrum laser you're using. It's a Chinese made with U.S. support. What don't you go with that since you know you already like it and it will be much less expensive than a U.S. Laser? Also Rabbit Laser is Chinese with U.S. support, might look there too.

So it sounds like you want to do basically 13x9 but you also need to vent this correctly. You've got a couple of options out there if your budget is low and your skills are high you can get a really good used western machine. Depending on condition you can get them for as little as 2-3k needs a rebuild level up to 13-14k for a factory refurbished model.

-Kevin

G.Weike. Redsail, Rayfine, Rabbit Laser ,Hans Yueming Laser,Golden Laser are all good laser manufacturer from China! en.ofweek.com is a industrial B2B platform, so their are many other laser manufacturers who you can select the best suitable for you !

wklaserliu Guest

hi LASERCN,

YES, you are right, thank you for mention us :banana:

Quiven form gweike laser
    [email protected]

You are welcome ,many people use the G.weike laser

Endurancerobots Guest
    Endurance L-Cheapo laser test

2.1 watt (2100 mW) diode laser cuts wood, plywood acrylic up to 2 inches
    Wait for new tests with compressed air and vacuum cleaner
    https://youtu.be/FQtI5c7s6nA
    https://youtu.be/4KOZXNG05TI
    https://youtu.be/Hwy9GsZvarI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHwT63qztg8

More info about Endurance L-Cheapo http://endurancerobots.com/products/...ers-accessory/