584,817 active members*
4,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SE Michigan garage shop

I'm in Brighton, MI. Most of the work I do is motorsports based, drag cars, bikes, choppers.
    I do some cylinder head machining as well as EFI conversions and Nitrous systems.
    Also TIG welding and fabrication.

So far I have a Leblondelathe and waiting on a tree tracer mill.
    Miller 320AB does the welding chores untill I can scrape up the coin for a new inverter welder.
    And a 6'X3' drill press table used as a fixture table/surface plate for cycle frames. All happening in my attatched 2.5 car garage.

Been welding/fab for about 17 years, learned machining by doing it and making mistakes and asking questions of some generous and knowledgable friends.
    I'm just out here and always looking for friends that speak the same language.
    Not really looking for apprenticeship, nor to be a mentor, but maybe a bit of both. I'm always willing to help out if I can.

Dan

i'm in warren, about 45 mins from brighton. i see your doing alot of the stuff that i'm doing as well. just wondering how business is going for you.

We're in Ann Arbor and yes, we are a commercial cam grinding concern.

At this point, slow. More because I'm not totaly set up and traveling to borrow a friend's machine doesn't cut it when you factor in gas and drive time.
    Electrician was over tonight, we have a good start and some circuts can be left alone or slightly modified. We'll also be needing service upgrade from DTE energy, but the instalation will be finished and approved before they need to come out.

There's a lot of work out there if you're good, not greedy and can fill reasonable deadlines. I can't do the last one right now, or at least I feel uncomfortable booking jobs with the uncertainty of machine availability.
    I hate to keep a customer waiting, I know I hate waiting!!

Dan

I just started the CNC programming classes at Macomb. I could come by and watch some time, but probably wouldn't be much help!

(Now electrical work I can be helpful in.. I've been doing industrial controls for years)

ChopperSprocket-

I just moved up to Brighton, in part to get a bigger garage! I have a Bridgeport Boss CNC that I completely restored. It is set up as a mill, a vinyl decal plotter, a router (I do a lot of carbon fiber plate routing), and a cnc lathe/indexer thanks to an 8x14" lathe that I mount on the mill table.

My house is near the M59-23 exit. We should talk! You can see pics of my mill setup and some of my projects at

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/2598/

I was an auto technician for many years and just picked up machining (trial, error, and a lot of Internet time!) in 2003.

-Steven Balder

NICE mill steve. not to mention the heli!!!
    I'm not far from you, just off hyne road, about 10 minutes away.
    I'm here all the time so drop a line and we can get directions and all...

Dan

Pics of my machines here: http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showg...0/ppuser/43482

Just unloaded the mill when I took those (thus the upside down head...lol)
    I don't think I'll do a total restore right now, I know it's been in use and have used it recently.
    The lathe just need the regular lube/maintainance as per usual.

shop's running and jobs are keepin me busy.
    Mill and lathe have been getting a workout and welder circut should be in soon (I have another welder available to use a mile from my place)
    Got a bit of national exposure on PINKS ALL OUT, we got in the show, but were DQed in a "defend your spot" round for going too fast!
    They didn't tell us by how much, but the car had to run at least 9.70s for the DQ.
    It was a blast, and my first signage will be on TV when they air the Milan, MI episode... Back to the race shop for more GO-FAST!!!!

Dan
    Sprocketwerx Motorsports