584,866 active members*
5,249 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Sprocket gcode/cad file creator

Sprocket gcode/cad file creator

I'm a computer geek who hangs around the machine shop too much and I wrote a small program in response to our need for creating gcode for milling sprockets. In order to visually confirm the results from the desktop I also made it generate a CAD file (dxf). Anyway, I thought it was too neat / useful not to share so I've posted it on my website at http://www.idleamusements.com/sprocketeer.htm. You basically choose the standard chain size ( or enter a custom pitch and roller diameter) and the number of teeth and it generates the gcode and CAD file.

Download it and give it a spin. If you find any problems or have any suggestions for improvement please let me know via the email address on the page.

Thanks,
    Mike

Hi Mike,

This is just what I need for our High School Robotics competition this January. Unfortunately, the downloaded program doesn't want to work, I keep getting an error about some file thats missing.

I've created an installation package which should include all of the files that you'll need. It is now available for download at http://www.idleamusements.com/sprocketeer.htm . If you have any problems or have any suggestions let me know.

I also wouldn't mind some pictures of the final result for my webpage if you find this little program handy.

Enjoy,
    Mike

Mike, I successfully downloaded and installed the program. Pretty neat. The computer at school where our shop is had some trouble installing the program, but I had no problem at home. I'm going to take the g code file to the school tomorrow and see if I can't cut a sprocket.

I've been wanting to cut sprockets for about 5 years now. I even made a servo driven gear/sprocket hobbing attachment for our manual mill this year. This should be a lot faster and easier!

Thanks!
    Alan

Hi Mike,

I ran your program and generated code for a 18 tooth 35 pitch sprocket. We haven't actually cut it yet, but I loaded it into our Tormach Mill stuck a pen in it and it traced the outline of the sprocket. We will probably cut the sprocket this weekend when I get the coolant pump going. One thing I noticed is that the tooth profile is a bit taller and sharper than an ansi standard sprocket. I don't think this is a problem, but it is a bit different.

I left the teeth as pointed as they could be. It seems that the final point cut of the sprocket teeth is something of a personal preference so I left it up to the machinist to make that final cut. Basically add a final circle event with a center of 0,0 and the diameter of your desired final profile.

If anyone can find a good standard or rule of thumb for that final trim then I'll make it cut that path from the start, or add that final event at the end.

Thanks,
    Mike

thats a neat lil program ,
    the program is great as it is bud
    it would be easy for a guy to throw in a circular pass to knock off the excess ,if desired

Very nice routine. Fills a niche. Thats' what software is all about.

Thanks Mike, it's small programs like this one that made the Internet a geat place. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Sprocketeer is an awesome program. I made a custom sprocket last week for a guy who does trick riding on a sports bike and needed a different ratio.

plasmacut from .025 steel and then powdercoated

Re: Sprocket gcode/cad file creator

Hi Mike
    I used your program to make 34 teeth sprocket for 530 chain. The teeth came out too thick and too tall and I had to do a lot of grinding work with dremel tool to make it workable. Did I have any mistake?

Re: Sprocket gcode/cad file creator

Hi Mike. How about adding Narrow-Wide teeth as an option? Br Finn