585,962 active members*
3,989 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Gcode Carving

Know this might not be something to ask here.

But have not gotten carving software and wanted to put something like this together to carve quick.

Anyone want to take a stab? Thanks.

b.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mobius.JPG  

Not sure exactly what you're looking for? You want that in 3D? Inlay?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ya like a 3d inlay.. Using a v grove cutter type bit..

Guess as uasuall I'm to vauge.. Something for sure I could do in vcarve once I get the full version

b.

Don't have time today, but maybe sometime this week. Can't Promise, though. I have a way to V-carve it using AutoCAD, but it's a bit tedious.

Edit: May have spoke too soon. It might be too wide for a single pass. Too complicated to do it by hand. I'll see, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

No problem..

I'll figure something out.. Just figured it might be something some one could do pretty easy.

I can probably do it manually. I just have to get more savy with the tools.

Having the machine is one thing. getting it to move is another story.. Have not had time to do much anyway..

What little time I have had as been spent making a dust collection skirt.. Made it with one of those floor brooms. Have pics and discription of how I did it in a later post I suppose..

b./

Can you explain your part a bit more clearly? Is this a flat 2D part that you want carved/engraved into a surface with a v-cutter? How deep? What is the significance of the blue/green colors? Do you want to carve just the profile or the entire surface? What is the 0.5 offset dimension on the right mean?

--Colin--

the off set dim on the right is the distance to some words.. I have the font carver for that so don't need help there.

Just a flat piece of maybe 3/4" thick ply..

Imagin it cut with a v cutter.. Starting at the tips of the blue and green parts on either side moving to the larger end. V'd toward the middle of each area..

b.

Hi,

I drew up the design in VCPro - 2 circles and moved the nodes - and vcarved the design to show what you mean by the 3D sweeping toolpath movement.

Let me know if you would like the CNC Code + what cutter you have?

Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wcarrothers1.jpg   wcarrothers2.jpg  

Tony mac.. That is perfect..

I currently have several:
    -90° V Groove Bit, 3/4" Diameter, 5/8" Cutting Length, 1/2" Shank
    -60° V Groove Bit, 1/2" Diameter, 5/8" Cutting Length, 1/4" Shank
    -90° V Groove Bit, 1/4" Diameter, 5/16" Cutting Length, 1/4" Shank
    -90° V Groove Bit, 1/2" Diameter, 1/2" Cutting Length, 1/4" Shank

Bits at the moment. Have a few others..

Looked great though. Running mach3 incase that helps with the Gcode type

b.

Hi again,

The attached Mach3 CNC code is calculated for a 90 V-Bit 1/2" diameter and will cut each shape in multiple passes to reduce the load on the tool.

The X0 Y0 origin is in the middle of the design and Z0 is on the material surface.

Let me know if this changing.

Tony Mac
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well that worked just great.. I might scale it up in mach just a bit..

Just to explain you did this with Vcarve correct??

Other then the Alex name plate that I cut this is the first shape thing I've cut..

All I can say is GEES this machine moves fast and really looks like it is going to work wonderfull.. But anyway.. I think I'll be able to get it even faster and smoother with a G100 interface but anywho..

Here is a pic of a test cut... That scratch in the center was me zeroing Z into the board.. (sorry..hehe))

b
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0139.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by wcarrothers1 View Post
    Just to explain you did this with Vcarve correct??
    Tony Mac is too modest to mention it but he 'IS' V-Carve....along with some other friendly folks of course. And Tony, I just have to say, you guys get more generous every time I see you post! Kudos to you.

Hope I eventually manage to get as proficient with V-Carve as you are. Did it take long to set up the circles? Didn't sound like it in your above post....

Speeking of speed.. Was showing some one the ALEX name plate I made for him and they asked me how long did it take to make it. I was like under a min to cut (don't know How long but know it was real fast and could have gone faster).. And they were like a min per letter? and I said nope a min for the entire thing.... Probably less then that..hehe

Anyway.. Just wish I had more time to play with the darn thing.. Got a timing system order in a few days ago and that eats my after work time..

Anywho.

Thanks for the Gcode...

b.

Ya the way he attacked the project I was wondering if he might be Vcarve beign from the UK and all... What better way to demo it.. That was sweet. Gcode ran super smooth on my machine. Fast and everything...
    . Becides I'd bet he knew I downloaded it a while ago and told him I was about to have my machine up.. Now I guess I will have to scrape together some $$ and get it.. (have to convince the wife..hardest part)

Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by wcarrothers1
    Here is a pic of a test cut...
    b,

Way to go! Will you post another picture (or two) of your 2nd masterpiece at an angle so that we can get a good look at the 3-D V-Carve-ing? The aerial view is too two dimensional for those who haven't used Vectric's V-Carve Pro to get a feel for what's going on and what the software is capable of.

A big thanks to Tony Mac, also.
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Here are 2 more pics with pencil marks in the grove to help with perspective..

Hopefully that helps..

Tool took swooping movements down and up as it turned and curve to make the shape.. Was a trip to watch.. Should post come video of it doing it..

b.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0140.JPG   DSCF0141.JPG  

Hi B,

Yes, the design was very quickly drawn in VCarve Pro (Thanks diarmaid) - it's simply 2 overlapping circles, then node edit and drag one of the points on each circle. Then the VCarved toolpaths were calculated.

Thanks for the extra pics, they make it clearer to visualize what the carved regions look like.

Tony

Very Generous, Tony Mac.

Anywho.. Playing with the software trying to visualize in my head stretching the 2 circles and making that shape moving the nodes. Guess I need more practice with the software.

Figured V carving is the cutter actually following some imagnary line between the 2 vector lines. Took a while to figure that out. I'm not to artistic so the process probably will take a while and some practice..

Still don't have enough time to play with the machine.. (Darn it..)

Almost have the dust collection setup.. But that isn't something for this thread..hehe

b.

Quote Originally Posted by wcarrothers1 View Post
    Anywho.. Playing with the software trying to visualize in my head stretching the 2 circles and making that shape moving the nodes. Guess I need more practice with the software.

Figured V carving is the cutter actually following some imagnary line between the 2 vector lines. Took a while to figure that out. I'm not to artistic so the process probably will take a while and some practice..

Still don't have enough time to play with the machine.. (Darn it..)

Almost have the dust collection setup.. But that isn't something for this thread..hehe

b.

Actually the way I think of it in my head is the cutter is cutting a "pocket" with a V shaped bottom. In other words, the bigger you scale the design in VCP, the deeper th cutter will go to create the "V" in the bottom. (unless you give it a flat depth.) In my opinion, do everything you can to get this software. It is by far the easiest software I've used. The support CANNOT be beat at the Vectric forum, and the price is PHENOMINAL!!

Jason
    Everytime you think you made something idiot-proof, they keep making new and approved idiots.

Page 1 of 2 12