584,826 active members*
5,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Can I lift my 1100 w/ the stand or should I remove the stand?

Can I lift my 1100 w/ the stand or should I remove the stand?

I need to move my Tormach to a new location, is it advised to lift the machine off the stand first or can I use the lift kit to do the entire stand and the Tormach as well in one shot.

I have the lifting equipment to pick it up no problem.

Re: Can I lift my 1100 w/ the stand or should I remove the stand?

You need to lift it onto a trailer or a truck (as in transporting it on the road)? If I were you, I would definitely remove it from the stand. That lowers the center of gravity significantly, which makes it less likely to tip. Bolt it onto a pallet, and load it that way.

Transporting it across the room? Better to use pallet jack.

Eastern Oregon? I grew up in Bend, but I guess to be a purist, most from Eastern Oregon don't really consider that "Eastern Oregon". That is like people from Missouri who think they live in the West...
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Pallet jack is the way to go for moving around the shop, but I need to move it about a mile from one shop to another.

I may end up unbolting it from the stand just to make it easier, it's only four bolts after all.

Bend is like central Oregon, I'm way out in the sticks. Like where you don't have locks on your doors cause nobody comes around that you don't know type of place.

I have moved an 1100 twice. Just pick up the whole thing. Unless you are planning on off roading with the moving truck. I used a pallet jack and ratchet traps to pull it onto a hydrolic drop trailer first move. when I sold it I just picked it up with a forklift and tossed in onto the buyers trailer. We threw it onto a sheet of plywood on the trailer then I pushed the plywood to get it farther forward to axle. 4 ratchet straps and done. He hauled it to Washington from Sothern California with no problem.

The lifting arm attaches to the column and to the table so I would not use it to lift everything due to the extra strain on the table from the weight. I used a pallet jack and a truck with a lift gate to move the entire mill from one location to another. The lift gate wasn't happy about it but it did the job. Pallet jacks are way easier and safer to use than a floor crane, if that is what you are planning to use.

Quote Originally Posted by KSky View Post
    I need to move my Tormach to a new location, is it advised to lift the machine off the stand first or can I use the lift kit to do the entire stand and the Tormach as well in one shot.

I have the lifting equipment to pick it up no problem.
    I moved my machine last August and it only cost me $400.00 to have a professional machinery mover do it. I did it that way because he was insured so if he dropped it I would get it replaced for free. $400.00 was actually cheap.

Cash works a whole lot better than s check.