584,849 active members*
4,540 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > VF-2 Won't feed IPM, will rapid tap and run spindle

VF-2 Won't feed IPM, will rapid tap and run spindle

Mill powers up, homes, and will rapid, spindle will run and also will tap. But G1,G2,G3, or drill cycle locks control up and not even respond to e-stop. Approx. 7 seconds, drives shut down power must be turned off and back on. Any ideas what may be happening.

Re: VF-2 Won't feed IPM, will rapid tap and run spindle

For anyone reading this that thinks this is crazy, it is, and I watched it do it.

The control completely locks up(display, keys, estop) sometimes the display is locked between refreshes and a digit is left half changed on the screen. After around 7 seconds the drives kick out. Thinking this was about the weirdest thing ever we kept trying other things in the program, and it seems everything works fine as long as up don't issue a feed move(g1,g2,g3, or drill cycle) and it doesn't matter which axis, for some reason we tried rigid tap and it worked. Tried seeing if it would work in feed per rev mode (g95) even though it's not listed in the manual. Had no effect, machine locked up.

I am guessing it has to be in the motion control board or CPU board.

Cory

Did you try using the feed over ride keys? Rigid tapping ignores any over ride so it could be that a faulty over ride key is giving a spurious signal that locks the control.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Call the factory support line, they will probably provide the best answers in this case. I have never had to deal with a problem like you are describing but I would venture to say it is something with the processor pcb.

What is the age of this machine?

mill is an '04, called Haas and they directed me to an hfo, i did get hold of a service tech, he wanted me to reseat all connections, and if that didn't work to call back for applications tech. Have called 3 times and no one has called back.