584,866 active members*
4,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

my 1handed o704 build

hello again guys...

so i finally got all the stuff in ..
    i just need to get some and a couple connectors and start soldering... i figured i would start my own thread for the stupid questions...

i do alot research here but i know im still going to be unsure about somethings..

heres my list
    c35 BOB
    c41 vfd board
    c48 eprobe and estop board
    c38 braking board-
    4 c34kld driver board adapters and cat5 cables
    4-12ft stepper cables
    2- estop buttons
    3- 5056d drivers x,y,a
    1- 8070d driver z
    1- 48v power supply
    1-24v PS for vfd board
    1-5v ps for ttl
    2- n23 507 motors x,y
    1 - n32 1200 motor z
    1- 1.5hp marathon tenv 1000:1 CT motor.. heavy.. the 2hp tenv is waaay to heavy
    1 - dayton 120-210 2hp vfd
    1 - 2 gig standalone video card....... the onboard card has very little memory..
    19 inch elo touchscreen, pc running win 7 (mach 3 site says win7 isk ok too)32bit, keyboard,mouse etc etc
    10 TTS style er20 tool holders
    and a bunch of connectors, wall pass throughs,plug in receptables, etc etc...
    mill is converted with doublenut screws
    and upgraded to AC bearings already..
    still need mach3 and hoss's dvds..

im using autodesk inventor 2016 CAD with integrated CAM ..

its all going into a pc case tomm.. ive read up on all of the components and how to hook everything up..the basics you know,. to cut down on the dumb questions, need to check out setting up mach 3 and such by hoss

i noticed that the c35 only has 4 axis ouputs.. so i think im good for 4 axis but im planning on quickly driving through to toolchanger and PDB, the pdb is amust for a guy with one working arm..

there are two relays on the c41 vfd board,

1. i was planning on using one relay to run the vfd and the second to run the coolant mist pump since i dont plan on using reverse

my biggest questions is as follows...

i need 2 more axis for atc and i need another relay for the pdb, am i missing something with the c35bob or am i going to have to add another parallel port/breakout board/and relay, i just want to go ahead and order the parts i need to build the box so when i get to the atc and pdb the control box is ready to go.. or does a bob exist that can do all of this tuff in one package..or can the c35 do all that and i dont know what im doing yet..LOL

again thanks for all your help and patience..

Re: my 1handed o704 build

yeehawww

its alive... i got it all put tigether and running...i have to say im really glad i went with the n32 1200 on the z axis... and the 8070 driver..the z will absolutely smoke...LOLOLOL...

the only problem i had during the build , that may someone is familiar with... when i was settin up the c38 braking board....
    as i was adjusting the voltage and waiting for the dump led to light, it went all the way to 51.9 volts..so i subtracted .5v like the instructions..for 51.4, put it all together
    and the 5056s went into Voltage protection... i know now that 51.5 is way to close to the V cutoff..

i followed the instructions clearly and read them 7 times before i touched it... ii backed it off to 49.5...but then i found out that is too high as well ..when i was playing with the z axis, at the bottom of a fast stop, it clearly got some reverse emf and went into voltage protection again..only the 5056s .. not the 8070...this board is supposed to prevent this, that and the 51.9 volts setting makes me think something might be wrong with it..

got the probe , secondary external estop hooked up..and working
    have mist control working through the vfd board on number 2 relay..
    and spindle on/off through number 1 relay on vfd board.

im currently no using the SCHP cuz it runs on pin 17, which also happens to the same pin that relay number 1 wants to use...so its either spindle on/off or SCHP...what am i doing wrong..

i set my boards to 1000 spr...which if im correct makes my steps per mm setting in the software 200...is this correct.. i was thinking that this setting would give me 1mm/rev ...but its acually still 5mm/rev..again what am i doing wrong ..

thanks for any help guys

O.k, I get it now. That 'delete' thread was a multiple thread post of the same title.

50v on a 1200oz stepper sounds perfect, close to servo performance.

I personally thing that the 1200oz stepper on the Z is WAY WAY WAY WAY overkill. 570oz works just fine. the 1200 will be slower and you will gain nothing by using it. Please read the other threads in this forum on Stepper size selection. 960oz would be the largest you would go, but as many people including myself have stated, the 570oz is more than enough, even with a larger spindle motor and a air cylinder for power draw bar.
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

i agree it is way way overkill, as was the 8070 driver..... my bad, my reasoning, was definitely as you were saying connor, for the extra weight of a drawbar and big spindle motor...the last numbers i saw on marathons site put the 1.5hp 1000:1 blackmax motor at 50 pounds....so i wasnt really sure where the weight would end up and i didnt want to maybe get stuck buying another .. i know im not breaking new ground here LOL

i definitely did read all over the place here and else where...i did see everyone using the 960 but what i didnt see was then using 40 pound a/c motor... so i was really unsure... i decided to go the safe bet and go with a bigger motor...i have the z turned down , im not sure where i will end up with the velocity, im new to this .....i def would not call it slow though

i did get the Steps settings done, i had it right, i was just very unsure of myself...and i ended up setting the braking board at 49.5v , i have played with the velocity and accelerations to see how high i can before the drivers go into Vprotection mode...i doubt i would ever run it that fast.. i have left it at 3000mm/sec until i start to learn where i can actually run it..

i did blow something up in the driver board LOL.... as of now i have no analog output...having one hand has its drawbacks, i was messing around with the F1 wire which had the cat5 cable running to the spindle board and something slipped out of my hand...i heard a pop and that was it..my fault, i ordered another of optoisolators and such for the board from art..hopefully that ll get the analog running again..

i did have a question on the analog output, i noticed on the board that the pwm has an input if your not using the cat5 cable.. does this mean that i have to assign it a pin to control the analog out put from mach

thanks for reading fellas i sure your all super busy

I'm wondering why this is a "1handed" build ??

it rings awful close to home because I'm mid rotator repair recovery and I sure am limited to what I can accomplish !

If it were not for great neighbors, I'd still have my machine in the crate !

I'm going to probably stick with the recommended motors on mine, but I am still undecided on drivers.... Your running the Leadshines, correct ?

I wonder how they run for you primarily if you have had or have used some of the other driver options in order to make a direct comparison. I know that there can be a big difference in how a machine SOUNDS between drives, even when there are no accuracy or repeatability issues. I have some drives from Flashcut that are private labeled that kind of blew me away when I installed them. Prior to that, the machine had the other very popular hobby brand. They are crazy quiet, but I do not know what brand they really are.

When are you going to share some photos ? :-)
    Chris L

hey chris....

im a 100% disabled vet, i lost use of my arm in 1998... so my screen name absolutely everywhere is 1hander lol

im using Keling 5056 x and y and 8070 on Z , ive heard other conversions using the older non digital drivers and some make alot of noise...it seems these drivers are very quiet to me..but i have nothing newer to compare them too..ill def get some pics up..im in the middle of a 1/4 scale md520 build, and trying to organize to move, and build the mill. thanks for the interest

your right..working with heavy things is extremely challenging..

Well thank you for your service my friend, and just being temporarily laid up has really left me understanding, or being more understanding the challenges others around us face. I bet your other arm has increased in strength over the years ! And probably can reach in places now it couldn't when you had both to work with.

Mind over matter I guess, right ? I have been installing more eye hooks here and there in order to use straps, tie downs and come-alongs where necessary, .... heck in the first week, I was using a rope thrown over a door in order to pull that one side of my pants up !

Keep up the good work. I look forward to your pics.
    Chris L

LOL, thats awesome... i have found that i am stronger, more intelligent and more humble for sure... having only one arm has forced my brain to rewire itself and think in completely different ways..its pretty funny the ideas i come up with to get things done...it gets pretty tom and jerry sometimes..

i halot of injuries unfoetunately that mean i have to take pain killers everyday, its a constant struggle with addiction, and a fine line between take what i need and abusing...ive been walking its edge for over 15 years..but im managing...i have to workout every morning or i get really weak and everything starts t o hurt even more... like you said.. i figured if im only gonna have one arm, then its going to be strong..

can some help me out on how to convert IPM feedrate to............i think mach 3 says mm/sec/sec....im trying to make a chart that i can look at and compare while machining and get an idea of what mmps equates to in ipm ... while im learning metric...i set it up metric since my parts are all metric..

ok i got it, ..i misread..its just mm per minute which is a simple multiplication....i was looking at the acceleration box

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Thank you for serving our nation.

I think the bad guys may have it worse knowing who your outfit was.

Don

it was my absolute privilege.....

LOL..lets just say that in the end they got no mercy or pity of any kind from me or mine......i most definitely would not want to ever be on their end...theres nothing like a motivated pissed off green beret to ruin a bad guys day...

ok guys I got the analog signal working again but still have had no luck getting the analong output to vary with rpm input changes in mach3 but onto aother problem

I got the C3 index car hooked up and had the same problem with the bob bot seeing the index pulse when ttriggered...so I decide to try to hardwire the output from the c3 into pin 15 on the bob...then I retried the auto set ...triggered the index signal and I got a beep and it set pin 15...and I had rpm readoutr in mach...but my question is...why do I have to hardwire for a signal...the rj45 is supposed to carry the I/O signals and thus not requiring any further wiring, am I missing something ...a jumper perhaps...ive read the documentation over and over and don't see anything mentioned

nevermind on that request guys..i blew up the analog signal again and burned out the kbic...now im screwed and have no way to make parts for the a/c conversion..

if theres anyone who has a c56 motor conversion on their o704..i would be happy to pay for one so i can just go to vfd...im just gonna run it off the vfd ... not gonna screw with running it off of mach 3... if someone can help, like i said id be happy to pay so i can mount a c56 motor

im not sure how buy i managed to get the spindle working, but i have no control...its full power immediately...which i can work with, long enough to make the conversion and mounting for the motor im hoping...now im just waiting for sharsa to get more vises in stock, no one has the 550v anywhere that i could find, if anyone knows where theres one, hit me...there a few kurt 5 inch vises on ebay for the same price as a new shars...im very tempted to buy a used kurt which i seriously doubt i will regret..

Man wiring a panel with one hand is a great accomplishment on its own. Hats off to you.

As for the vises, you can never go wrong with a Kurt, I've been using them for years. If your looking in the 5" range, which you should as its a great fit for the G0704, you might want to look at the Tormach 5". I have no direct experience with their vises but I'm sure they are good quality.
    www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

hello again guys... i finally got around to limit switches and building a chip tray..added led ring lights, finished the one shot oiler setup..waiting on a vise and material for the belt drive...its gonna be crowded up there for sure..first thing i need to do is cut out a spanner wrench to get me by until i get the power drawbar drawn up..
    nut it runs good with no backlash compensation needed yet.. i reset it up for inches instead of mm.. calibrating spi was a pain in the but in mm for me... after the spanner ill start the motor mounts ..

i also got the 0602 setup and running and built a bench for it...
    rebuilt the tool post grinder i bought..thats fun using,,,messy though
    cnc that later, was thinkig about trying hybrid servo closed loop on the lathe from leadshine...

of course its all taken a while cuz i needed buy woodworking tools and metal working and cutting tools...but well worth having all the tools for sure.
    heres the motor mounts and pulleys for my belt drive...whatta pain in the arse..
    ill be running 1 to 2 overdrive 62/42 i was thingking it wouldnt be wise to run the motor over 3500 which is where max horsepower starts to drop off.. so ill get 6781 i think that should be enough
    32 is the smallest pulley oi thought i could get on the spindle...and the next gear they had for the motor side was 70 something... i had to notch out the motor mounts to fit the pulley in between them..

had a crap load of trouble with emi...and i dont even have the vfd on it yet... i rerouted and separated lines.. and used emi filters on everything and the problem i think is gone...at leasyt until the vfd fires up..

will post the outcome once i get the metal and a vise in
    after the belt drive its time for a fourth axis or powerdrawbar..
    ...thanks for the help fellas

1hander, I too thank you for your service!

I am impressed by your perseverance. I can manage to short it all out with both hands quite successfully. Also the noise and false triggers are just part of the learning.

Did you ever resolve the relay issues? Do you have any output pins left? It is just a simple reassignment if so. Though I am sure you are aware of this by now.

On a side note. I had a 1 armed teacher in my senior year of high school, a great guy. About half way thru the year (1979) I came to class and there was a guitar leaning against the wall. My imagination immediately caused me to chuckle internally (fortunately I didnt stick my foot in my mouth and say anything and no one else did either). It was the silent ghost in the room. About half way thru the class, he walks over and picks the guitar up and proceeds to school us all in perception! He used the 5 fingers he had at a level most will never even comprehend. It was an honor to see the way he adapted.
    I play guitar, have daily before that and to this day yet I am no where near his caliber. I have always thought that handicapped must refer to those who cant overcome. Good Luck on your journeys.
    A lazy man does it twice.

thank you boss...I appreciate that...I guess im just hardwired not to quit ..its one of the things thst made me a grest soldier...that and the caliber of men around me...nothing more ...

I finally figured out the reLay a problem..it was pins..I ran out rather quickly ..I might have one left...also I couldnt get the card to tun the motor cuz I had the wrong power supply hooked up to ot..

Page 1 of 5 123