585,760 active members*
3,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Running an 1100 with the motor door removed, safety switch changed to operate on th

Running an 1100 with the motor door removed, safety switch changed to operate on th

It looks like I am drifting toward getting rid of the sheet metal hinged cover that protects belt/motor /pully area. I wonder how many people have dispensed with it.

A sheet metal guard about 2.5 inch high could be formed following nthe curve of the pullys, to keep hair and random fingers out , while still allowing pully changes..

The safety switch could be modified to operate on the spindle lock. I know a PDB would solve the whole issue....,,haha

Dave

Re: Running an 1100 with the motor door removed, safety switch changed to operate on

Quote Originally Posted by DLawrence View Post
    It looks like I am drifting toward getting rid of the sheet metal hinged cover that protects belt/motor /pully area. I wonder how many people have dispensed with it.

A sheet metal guard about 2.5 inch high could be formed following nthe curve of the pullys, to keep hair and random fingers out , while still allowing pully changes..

The safety switch could be modified to operate on the spindle lock. I know a PDB would solve the whole issue....,,haha

Dave
    As you say, a PDB will solve that problem, they are a real time saver!
    mike sr

Re: Running an 1100 with the motor door removed, safety switch changed to operate on

It looks like I am drifting toward getting rid of the sheet metal hinged cover that protects belt/motor /pully area. I know a PDB would solve the whole issue
    It sure does!

Don Clement

I will admit that the thought crossed my mind once, but I find that the door does a pretty good job at keeping foreign material out of that area. If you are blasting with high pressure air or coolant you might want to keep it on. In the end though it is your set of circumstances so just do what you gotta do. It pops off REAL easy and if you have a brake and a cut off disc you will have your alternative solution prepared in no time.

Dave
    Buy a PDB if tool changes are the problem. Or build one. Multiple good designs around, including Scott M's LOD.

With regard to pulling to door, that appears to be fairly uncommon based on pictures here and elsewhere.

Shops are inherently dangerous places; every time I'm tempted to remove or modify something that has a safety function, I ask myself if this is a common-sense device or a safe-to-the-point-of-stupid (ie, OSHA) device. An easy way to tell is to look at older designs. Belt and motor housings have been standard for many decades. This one covers moving parts that are mostly at eye-level. A much shorter belt guard might be as good. Or maybe not- Tormach is still spending the money for the sheet metal, and they are very cost-aware.

Your shop, your rules. For what it's worth, this is a mod I wouldn't make.

Keep it on and live with the minor hassle or just buy the PDB. If your at the point where your considering removing it to save time and hassle it only makes sense to buy the PDB. Besides, it just wont look nearly as nice