584,837 active members*
5,370 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > A 6040 Machine that actually works!... I think?... but gcode problem?

Unhappy A 6040 Machine that actually works!... I think?... but gcode problem?

Hi guys.. I bought a 6040 machine a couple of years ago, and finally got around to plugging it in last night. (Moved house, apathy, etc)

After lots of fiddling, it seems to work. I can use the arrow keys to move x... y... z... all good.

On the settings i'm using, manually saying to go 10 along X, actually goes 10mm along X.

I opened a couple of the Gcode files included with the evaluation version of Mach3 I downloaded (as it never came with ANY software or instructions), and it seems to work. But... in minature.

I assume all the gcode files are made somehow scaled with inches, but the machine (and my settings) use MM. So it's doing it (mid air runs), but really really small.

Do I have some other settings incorrect? Or do I need to find some different gcode files scaled for MM?

thanks

Re: A 6040 Machine that actually works!... I think?... but gcode problem?

Go into the MDI (Manual Data Input) panel, type G20 into the box and press Enter. This should shift your machine into inches.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thanks... i'm guessing that's not a permanent thing, and only applies to the currently loaded gcode?

I also just created a simple circle in cambam, 100mm diameter, and loaded that gcode into mach3, and ran it.
    With my "steps per" at 320 like i'd seen in a few instructions, it came out 200mm.

So I reset my steps to 160, and it comes out exact (I think) size.

Meanwhile, my Z Axis is dropping.... yay.

Had another fiddle last night, and my Z axis isn't actually dropping.. well it is, but it's also jumping..... when the VFD is on.

I just had the motor spinning, and manually PgUp / PgDn until I got really bored... zeroed it, and was higher than when I started! (Originally touched a piece of paper, but it was 2mm above it when finished)
    The opposite occurs when i'm doing a simple circle, it just gets lower and lower and lower as it moves.

Both cases, looks like electrical interference!

So if I replaced the VFD cable with some shielded stuff, do you think that'll fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by _Kai_ View Post

So if I replaced the VFD cable with some shielded stuff, do you think that'll fix it?
    It did for me in the Y axis, but i also changed the stepper cables to shielded and routed the VFD cable as far away from everything else as possible. I also take the VFD power back to the outlet on its own cable and not into the plug board everything else is plugged into.

I also upgraded to a Gecko 540 and 48V power supply. This has made such an enormous difference.

Make sure you run a braided shield on the spindle leads; the ones going from the VFD to the tool. That should be connected to ground on the source end. Otherwise those wires will radiate a whole lot of EMF that can wreak havoc with your logic-level control signals.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Make sure you run a braided shield on the spindle leads; the ones going from the VFD to the tool. That should be connected to ground on the source end. Otherwise those wires will radiate a whole lot of EMF that can wreak havoc with your logic-level control signals.
    Only earthed on the vfd earth?

I got the replacement 4 core + shield cable and installed it last night;
    Original 3 wires, and added a 4th that goes from vfd earth to spindle metal (wedged it under the socket when I screwed it back in)

Currently the braided shield is connected to the metal plug on the spindle, but I hadn't yet connected it to vfd earth.