584,862 active members*
5,363 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Lifting a Haas VF3 off a flatbed semi
Page 1 of 2 12

Lifting a Haas VF3 off a flatbed semi

Hey guys,

We're getting our 2008 VF3 in early June. The guy I'm getting to haul it here was highly recommend by the well known place that we're buying it through. Transportation is covered. I now need to get it off the truck. I can't find a rigger in our area. We may end up renting a 20,000# rated forklift. Up until now, I thought you could just use a forklift alone to lift it off the truck with it's forks. I downloaded the Haas manual and they show what they call a Lift Placard. Is this placard really the only way to do it? Can you not just fork it up off the truck?

Thanks.

Re: Lifting a Haas VF3 off a flatbed semi

See haas manuals online.
    You need a lift boom - your own or the haas lift kit.

I've seen riggers move plenty of Haas machines with just a forklift.

Forklift is fine. Just make sure the operator knows what he or she is doing and understands weight distribution etc.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Forklift is fine. Just make sure the operator knows what he or she is doing and understands weight distribution etc.

Mike
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post

Mike
    +2

Don't go light on the lift. If I'm not mistaken we also used a 20,000 lift but at the height it took to get it off the truck (tight alley, had to drive the truck out from underneath) we needed a secondary lift on the other side for security. It was just too risky. Once we got it a few feet off the ground the forklift did fine but it was still a bit light on the steering.

Hey guys, I appreciate the help. First I sent an email to our locals HFO and they gave me a reference to a recommended place. I called this outfit up and they just use a forklift as well. They are going to call me back with a quote. They will take it off the semi, bring it into the shop, place on machine skates, move to it's home and level it.

SBC Cycle, Interesting on the dual lifts. Must of been some serious coordinating while going up & down at the same time. I spoke to a business that uses all Haas machines. They said to be sure to pick it up from the back side, not the front.

I wouldn't let riggers level my machine. Have yet to see one that can tram a head in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax91 View Post
    SBC Cycle, Interesting on the dual lifts. Must of been some serious coordinating while going up & down at the same time. I spoke to a business that uses all Haas machines. They said to be sure to pick it up from the back side, not the front.
    That's nothing, you should have seen some of the stuff I had to pull off moving machines with forklifts for a cheap boss in California years ago!

Once had to move a big Blanchard grinder through the shop and load onto a flatbed with three forklifts at once. The capacity of the three lifts did not equal the weight of the machine. It was 72" Blanchard If I remember right.

No problem though, always keep spare underwear in my office.

Best one was when the Boss's son decided to move a big Gardner Double disk grinder from one building to another on his own and dumped it right in the parking lot from about 3 feet high. It was funny to all of us, but guess who had to repair all of the damage-----ME!

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Hey guys,

The rigger called me a moment ago with the quote. To take it off the truck, carry it into the shop, move it to where it needs to be and level it, $2000.

We don't have anyone in town with a big enough forklift so I got 2 rental quotes and it was $1100 and the other $1300.

I'm curious to know from others if $2000 seems like an average amount for rigging expenses.

Thanks.

I know it sounds high, but it is pretty much normal. The biggest thing to remember is that that fee includes "Insurance." If they damage it, they pay for it.

Mike

Hey guys,

The rigger called me a moment ago with the quote. To take it off the truck, carry it into the shop, move it to where it needs to be and level it, $2000.

We don't have anyone in town with a big enough forklift so I got 2 rental quotes and it was $1100 and the other $1300.

I'm curious to know from others if $2000 seems like an average amount for rigging expenses.

Thanks.
    That is way high for around here.
    If you have to rent a forklift,you might as well do it yourself.
    And I would never let them level it,,it's not that hard,,
    I don't know where you live,but if it happens to be Boise,I can show you how to level it (I got a nice level) but then again,if you lived here,I could tell you of a rigger that would unload that for about 1/2 of that,and have their own forklift.

Yes, I figured it was pretty high. I even contacted my sales rep who we're getting the VF3 from and he thought that was on the high side also. I guess I could call the rigger back and see how much he would take off the quote if he doesn't level it. We're located in central WI. I did reach out to 2 other riggers out of the Minneapolis area. Waiting to hear back from them. At least I can get a feel of how high it is or comparable. To rent a forklift that is heavy enough will be right about $1300 for the day. Then I would have to rent the skates out which was $160/day. Once it's on skates, I'm not sure you need to then use a toe jack or not but we don't have one those. So the rental route is right close to $1500. Just isn't much for heavy machinery options in my area.

PS- Just in case you were confused, The $2000 was with them having and bringing their own forklift. It was NOT $2000(rigger) + $1300(forklift rentral)

Yes, I figured it was pretty high. I even contacted my sales rep who we're getting the VF3 from and he thought that was on the high side also. I guess I could call the rigger back and see how much he would take off the quote if he doesn't level it. We're located in central WI. I did reach out to 2 other riggers out of the Minneapolis area. Waiting to hear back from them. At least I can get a feel of how high it is or comparable. To rent a forklift that is heavy enough will be right about $1300 for the day. Then I would have to rent the skates out which was $160/day. Once it's on skates, I'm not sure you need to then use a toe jack or not but we don't have one those. So the rental route is right close to $1500. Just isn't much for heavy machinery options in my area.

PS- Just in case you were confused, The $2000 was with them having and bringing their own forklift. It was NOT $2000(rigger) + $1300(forklift rentral)

$1000 to $1200 total price here.But yeah,it sounds like supply and demand where your at.
    If you do rent a forklift,make sure you get long enough forks also.You Haas dealer should know.

You have it made where you're at. We'll see what the other 2 place say for a quote. At least I will know what my market is. Lots of farm tractors in my area with forks on them. I'm pretty sure they won't budge 13,000#

So the next question is, is it worth an extra $500 to hire a professional crew to do all the work for you and to know it's insured is something went bad?
    If the price includes leveling, I say let them do it and let them get you that much closer to cutting chips. Don't trust that it is correct by any means, so definitely verify EVERYTHING and fine tune the level as I expect you will need to.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    So the next question is, is it worth an extra $500 to hire a professional crew to do all the work for you and to know it's insured is something went bad?
    If the price includes leveling, I say let them do it and let them get you that much closer to cutting chips. Don't trust that it is correct by any means, so definitely verify EVERYTHING and fine tune the level as I expect you will need to.

Good luck!

+1

The exact path taken by the lift truck determines how risky it would be. You'd have an easier job if the machine is unloaded on level pavement, and the entire trip into the building is similar paved and level ground. In my instance there's a gravel section that has to be traversed heading into the building...while this is generally not an issue, it's just not something I do on my own.

For what it's worth, around here we pay about $5 per minute for riggers. When it comes to moving a machine into the shop, the riggers are always paranoid about having to make "house calls" where they must bring their stuff out to the site and move it off somebody else's truck, which may or may not arrive on time. (then a big pile of money gets burned)
    We can get machines delivered directly to the riggers, then they load onto their own flatbed and bring out to the shop, but this whole thing takes 4-7 hours depending on the amount of time to move it in. (ie how much other stuff has to be moved first).

Its all about insurance. If you rent a lift and dump it its on you. If the rigger dumps its on their insurance. We have moved a VF-3 and VF-4 with our 20K lift a few times. $2,000 doesnt seem that high to me, but we are 100 miles from any professional riggers.

Lifting a VF3 with a 20,000lb forklift is childsplay, provided you have long forks. A GR510 is much more fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVrwxm0IPwA

The video is in this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas-m...s-riggers.html

But I will admit we used a 30,000lb lift to get the GR510 off the flatdeck when it was first delivered.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Page 1 of 2 12