With the unfortunate demise of K2, I've had a few PMs from people asking about configuration/setup data for the KG-3925.

This post is to try to answer some of those questions; with a number of caveats:

• My machine dates from 2006, so your hardware setup might be different
  • It uses ABBA rails and ballscrews, with servo motors
  • My control box is connected to a PC via a parallel port (I understand later units used USB)
  • I use a router not a spindle; so my config contains no rpm, direction or on/off control for the cutting head
  • I use an old version of Mach3, and the config file I use was mostly put together from info I found on forums and lot of tinkering and testing
  • My machine is set up in metric not imperial

I use my machine with the 39" axis as X, travelling left/right (i.e. I stand with the X axis moving side to side). The 25" axis is Y, and the 5" vertical axis is Z. As I'm metric, the working envelope comes out as 985mm x 615mm x 127mm

The home position on the machine is far left (X=0), away from me on the Y axis (which means Y=615), and with the Z axis raised (I set this at Z=0). I.e. when I use REF ALL HOME on Mach I get 0, 615, 0. The image above shows the machine nearer to X=0, Y=0. If the Z axis were all the way down, it'd be -127.

When setting up a job I usually zero the X & Y axis at the bottom left of the material, and zero the Z axis with the cutter touching the material surface.

This is my config file for Mach3 (with some personal data and most recently used files list sanitised): http://spikyfish.com/KG3925/KG3925-06 Metric Mach3.xml

For those not using Mach3, here are a number of screen shots showing the setup pages. Note that some tabs have multiple images as I had to scroll down the list of pins to show them all. The Y axis acceleration figures are the same as those for X (hence only X and Z shown). I did try to tweak the acceleration figures up once, but the control box cut out too often, so those figures worked for me. My most used cutting set up is a 1/4" diameter 2 flute carbide upcut bit, with a 1/4" depth of cut in MDF, cutting rate of 120ipm (~3000mm/m).

If I recall correctly, the Dir LowActive setting in Ports & Pins for the Y Axis is due to me flipping over the direction of travel (to get the origin at the bottom, rather than top, left).

I'm not sure my soft limits for the Z axis are sensible, but it's never caused a problem.