584,805 active members*
4,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Need Help with old Controller Change
Page 1 of 2 12

Need Help with old Controller Change

A friend is looking to change out an older Gerber Sabre 408 controller to something modern. The controller box is massive nearly 2' cubed. He wants to go to something that doesn't require their proprietary software to run. The software is $1000 to upgrade and isn't that good for the money. Trying to find something to change it out with. His 408 only has the large router on it so no speed control or anything. It has pretty big servos they are Parker RX320ER1000 (LINK) They are 54vdc 6.3A servos. This thing surprisingly is screw driven so it only has 1 x motor.

I wanted to make sure my thinking was correct and see if anyone has done anything like this.

I was looking at using Gecko G320X for drivers.

Not sure what is the best controller for Gecko's is? Smooth Stepper?

Not sure how big of a power supply is needed?

Any help would be great.

Re: Need Help with old Controller Change

No one? Anyone got anything?

I had such hope in this thread, and it just stopped!

Dunno will you get an email notification from this reply, but if you do, what did you end up going with?

I put a deposit on a gerber 408 with a busted controller, I'm buying it for 1200 euros, which i think is amazing given that its a really nice table.

Looking at my options for drives and a controller. Mine has different servos to yours, mine are out of production - but, they still work, so I'll try use them. I've seen a really nice retrofit to steppers on this table. I'll ask the guy can I post his pic.

have persons permission, pics of the gerber 408, Y axis leadscrew, rotating nut drop-box, machined to accept a stepper )

Rewire jobs aren't as easy as all you gotta do. But I'd be more than happy to help with what I can. Gerry has some good comments about uc's products for motion controller and cutting software. Id look into the leadshine dcs 810 on ebay for drivers.

Cheers Davy ) had a look at the Leadshines, certainly cheaper than the geckos. I'm afraid I dont know who Gerry is?

Looking at the various software / controller combos now... its interesting, confusing. A whole new realm beyond the mechanics. It will keep me occupied for a while )

Ger21

I'm rewiring my Gerber Sabre 408 with a UC300ETH and UB1 board to Gecko 320X. I'm up and running but still need to figure out how to make the ATC work & speed control of VFD. How's yours running?

After finding the correct manual for my VFD I was able to connect to the UB1 and get speed control. Now onto the ATC.

I didnt get there yet man. I'm building a 6x10 plasma table. It seems like I'm actually moving backwards at times. Will post updates in the near future I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinweight View Post
    I'm rewiring my Gerber Sabre 408 with a UC300ETH and UB1 board to Gecko 320X. I'm up and running but still need to figure out how to make the ATC work & speed control of VFD. How's yours running?
    I'm considering converting my used 404. How expensive/hard was your conversion? I want to do it but I think it would be easier to throw $1000 at a copy of artpath and run it stock. Any advice?
    Thanks, Chris
    Utah, USA

I'm retrofitting my Sabre 408 with the Masso G3 controller ($900 with accessories and shipping) and 12NM NEMA 34 closed loop steppers ($180 each x3), using the existing 74v power supply. To get NEMA 34's to work you'll need to machine new mount plates (x3) and figure out a way to attach the 11mm bore pulleys to the 15mm (or whatever you get) NEMA 34 shaft. I'm trying to find replacement pulleys (just starting that process, so nothing to report yet).

Quote Originally Posted by DistortedDesign View Post
    A friend is looking to change out an older Gerber Sabre 408 controller to something modern. The controller box is massive nearly 2' cubed. He wants to go to something that doesn't require their proprietary software to run. The software is $1000 to upgrade and isn't that good for the money. Trying to find something to change it out with. His 408 only has the large router on it so no speed control or anything. It has pretty big servos they are Parker RX320ER1000 (LINK) They are 54vdc 6.3A servos. This thing surprisingly is screw driven so it only has 1 x motor.

I wanted to make sure my thinking was correct and see if anyone has done anything like this.

I was looking at using Gecko G320X for drivers.

Not sure what is the best controller for Gecko's is? Smooth Stepper?

Not sure how big of a power supply is needed?

Any help would be great.
    Stepper might be cheaper, but nowadays we usually use AC servo here.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Does anyone have the lead screw pitch so I can calculate the steps per rev on my 408?

Need Help with old Controller Change

I’m doing the same was thinking of using the servos, and gecko 320x drivers to run it and maybe acorn controls. Has anyone finished there’s ans happy with whatever they used wether it was servo of steppers thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use steppers make sure to use closed-loop steppers with the feed rates of this machine. You would be better off swapping from the OEM motors as they are very expensive to replace like $2000.00 and if you combine that with the Gecko drives it's really not worth it.

My customer decided to waste their money and try and repair the broken Gerber system so I won't be doing their conversion. Here is the info I was given by another Gerber Sabre 408 owner.
    Axis,Servo Encoder Counts/Revolution,Servo Teeth,Leadscrew Teeth,Leadscrew Pitch,Counts per mm
    X 4000 28 70 20mm 500
    Y 4000 28 70 20mm 500
    Z 4000 50 40 10mm? 500

The Z axis may be off by a factor of 2 (the pitch may be 5mm or 20mm instead of 10mm, I can't remember).

This is what I was going to use for motors.
    X/Y - https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/cl...nd-driver.html

Z - https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/cl...nd-driver.html

The NEMA 34 drives can take 80V DC which is higher than the 68V DC the control box transformer puts out.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofl337 View Post
    If you use steppers make sure to use closed-loop steppers with the feed rates of this machine. You would be better off swapping from the OEM motors as they are very expensive to replace like $2000.00 and if you combine that with the Gecko drives it's really not worth it.

My customer decided to waste their money and try and repair the broken Gerber system so I won't be doing their conversion. Here is the info I was given by another Gerber Sabre 408 owner.
    Axis,Servo Encoder Counts/Revolution,Servo Teeth,Leadscrew Teeth,Leadscrew Pitch,Counts per mm
    X 4000 28 70 20mm 500
    Y 4000 28 70 20mm 500
    Z 4000 50 40 10mm? 500

The Z axis may be off by a factor of 2 (the pitch may be 5mm or 20mm instead of 10mm, I can't remember).

This is what I was going to use for motors.
    X/Y - https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/cl...nd-driver.html

Z - https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/cl...nd-driver.html

The NEMA 34 drives can take 80V DC which is higher than the 68V DC the control box transformer puts out.
    Yes I completely understand about the motors, when I bought the machine the guy was telling me the same to rebuild them cost 800 and 1800 to 2000 to replace. I’ve been researching and have tossed it bake and forth on using vs replacing. Still on the fence.
    The guy that I bought it from, gave me all the paperwork and I was amazed at what they cost new. I’ve had dealing with gerber before and hate their preparatory hardware and software, they have their hands in your pockets for life.
    Ive disassembled the machine now and cleaning all the parts, rails, bearing, new belts and roll replace all wiring cause it’s right at 20 yrs old. I’ve been impressed with the rigidity of the gantry and frame. Unlike the new machines out there it’s aluminum but extruded and solid. So I’m looking forward to getting it done.
    I’ll look into the motors that you have mentioned and see what they are, I know there’s some post about replacing the factory servos with nema34.
    Thank you for your help and information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you CNC to retrofit uses step/dir signals to motor drives (step motor or brusless) take a look at:
    https://rosettacnc.com/en/

I guess 4 axis board is enough (4 axis could be for A rotary axis or for gantry).
    The control software is always free of cost and with very frequent updates to add new features.
    Just to buy the board one time.

Here you can view Control Software, with virtual machine and work simulation, at work:
    https://www.facebook.com/laboratorio...0187835105616/

The CNC Board is an industrial product running in an embeded real-time OS and run by self all motion algorithms, so PC running control software
    is totally free to work with CAD/CAM, web surf or watch a video during CNC work.
    Uses LAN interface so in same PC you can control more than one CNC at time.

Hi.

I just picked up a Gerber 408. I saw the colossal controller box and only being familiar with small stepper machines and mach3; I am unsure on how to proceed. It did not come with the software. I contacted Gerber to see what I need to do to get the software, but no response thus far. I will try again.

Will converting the machine to steppers have any negative effect on accuracy/speed?
    Why convert to stepper rather than a servo controller like G320X DC Servo Motor Controller?

Since I have always looked at the more budget attainable machines with steppers and mach3, I am just at a loss as to what would be the wise direction to go.

Thank you for your advice.

-Mike

Page 1 of 2 12