585,932 active members*
3,684 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Wells Index Mill mystery knob...What's it for?

Wells Index Mill mystery knob...What's it for?

OK...I'm stumped! So far my experiences with this machine has been "everything that is there, is there for a reason." I should also say that this is my first machine and I'm still trying to figure everything out.

Well I found a knob behind the head (directly behind where the spindle sits). It's on the big peice of metal that slides the whole head forward and backward. If I look underneath I can see that it is a worm screw. I can also see some large gear above it that moves with it. It turns very easily just by hand as if it's not connected to anything. It is limited in both directions so it won't just turn continuously.

If I were to guess, it's a part that would be used if the head had a y-axis swiveling capability. This machine for sure doesn't have that capability. Even the part that the screw drive is in just has four big bolts holding the head on so it doesn't even seem like a part that could accomodate a swiveling head. I was wondering if it maybe had something to do with removing the spindle. Which BTW is a Kwik Switch 200.

And, not to hijack my own thread...is it possible to use an R8 tool with this system? I looked at the top of the spindle to see if there was a standard draw bar. It appears to be recessed about 8 inches and there is some sort of splined shaft. I'm getting a little sick of trying to find Kwik Switch tool holders...R8's seem to be a dime a dozen.

Anyone?

Well, I called WI about it...they say it is a "Tram" adjuster. I guess there should be two of them, one for right left and one for forward backward. I get the impression that it isn't working though since there is no resistance on the gear. I'll look into a little more.

Wells-Index 645

I have a model 645 and need an exploded view tosee how to remove the quill. I want to send it to Wells-Index and have it ground for R8 Collets. Caqn anyone enlighten me on the removal of the quill?

R-8's are a dime a dozen for a reason. If you do any serious cutting they suck. I'm not familiar with Kwik Switch at all (I just took a quick look on internet) but even they look more robust than an R-8 (at least in the pictures). If you're just playing the R-8 may be o.k. but I think you'll be disappointed if you're serious about cutting.